1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help for Science Project

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grandpa 8, Oct 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grandpa 8

grandpa 8 TS Member

My 14 year old grandson is doing a science project at school on the effects that weather has on shooting scores. We have talked about different conditions such as wind, LOP adjustments for more clothing on cold or rainy days, heat, etc. He has gone to the local trap club and talked to shooters regarding the subject. Would anyone like to share their experiences with him. Do you shoot different scores when the weather changes. If so, what do you think are the reasons for the change.

Thank for you help
    Ed Jung

2. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

50 degress, drizzle and wind and I'm waiting for my squad to get called. My hands are cold, my feet are cold, my nose is running and now it's my turn to shoot. Not the same as one of those sunny summer days. Hot and sweaty is much better.

3. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

I'll give you Leo Harrison's standard answer to this question (he gets it asked at almost every clinic he gives)...he doesn't adjust/make any changes for wind/weather, but light conditions do force him to adjust his hold points and focus points. You have to be able to SEE the target before you have a chance of hitting it.

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Dangit Karla. I thought i was finally gonna get the magic fix for my fall and winter shooting woes. LOL

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I believe the wind or poor weather in general messes with the mind more than the targets. This is still in realm of science but a real tough nut to crack.

6. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

wolfram, you are correct...your attitude does make a difference. Leo never takes the line that he isn't CONFIDENT that he has a chance to break a good score. If you don't truly believe that you can be competitive, you may want to just shoot practice, it's cheaper. Every event has a winner and you must BELIEVE that you could be that winner.

7. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

Psst.. Matt, she just gave it to you !!

8. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Ed,<br>The best, and most scientific, way to get the answer is simply to record scores. Have him go to the range on different days and record the scores. Then do a statistical regression to see if there is any significant difference in scores.

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Oh i'm listening and it makes alot of sense. The mind aspect is one of my weakest points of the game.

10. warren

warren Member

I suggest that he check with ATA and PITA they should have records to cover that and should be very glad to help.

warren

11. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

You got mind problems? Try 2 strokes, walk with a walker and see 2 clocks on the wall where there is only one. Get professional help, see a real shrink, someone with a PHD in counseling and mental problems. Good Luck, practice more, keep doing what works, change what doesn't. Have fun, but be serious and try your best!

Regards,

Harry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap shooting science fair projects

trap shooting science project