1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help for HS trap teams

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SR1, Feb 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SR1

SR1 TS Member

I was wondering if anyone has info that would be of help to high school trap teams. The rod&gun I belong to is sponsering two schools and could use any info as far as funding goes. We are located in NYS.
    Thanks Shaun.

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Here (link above) is a place to start. There has apparently been a significant response lately to the AIM program that the ATA is promoting. Bill Malcolm

3. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Shaun,

Not to blow my own horn but many kids' coaches have ordered a copy of "Stock Fitter's Bible".

Virtually all professional and amateur coaches teach the same gun mount, shooting posture and stance (shooting form). To use the form however, a gun must fit the shooter - the dimensions of the stock must allow the form to be used. One trap form is taught because it has resulted in the best scores over the years.

You might consider investing $32 and ordering a copy of the book.

Rollin

4. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Amen, Literalist.

It might be a decent book. Don't know...will never find out. Tacky in the extreme.

Shaun...might try seeing if you can get a gun cheap and raffle it off. Or you can silent auction it - won't need a raffle permit that way.

But it's been my experience that there is no limit to the number of pistols you can raffle off, selling 50 or 60 $20 tickets per gun..

5. fletcher

fletcher TS Member

Our area team has a Raffle going on right now with 7 decent prizes and everything was Donated they get $2 a ticket or 6 for $10 and seem to do very well.

6. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

As I started reading Rollin's post I thought he was going to donate one to be raffled for the fund raiser. Silly me.

7. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

Might want to check out this thread and call Dennis Devault.

8. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

Make sure to click on "view complete thread"

9. SR1

SR1 TS Member

Thank you all for the input we have a gun raffle for the club already thats in may of this year but I might be able to get a extra gun to raffle off to bennifit the teams at the raffle. We have already gotten a grant from the NRA and the club matched it we bought as many flats of shells as we could with that for the kids. But its not going to be enough for two teams. Rollin how about donating two books one for each team they would stay at the schools and they would get a lifetime of use out of it.
    Thanks again Shaun.

10. roger8918

roger8918 Member

Shaun, are you're trying to better understand the costs associated with running a youth trap team? If you are I would be glad to discuss my experiences with you or someone from your club over the phone. Too much to type.

Roger Beardsley
    Mason-Dixon Clay Busters
    masondixonclaybusters.com
    717-235-0743

11. crusha

crusha TS Member

Rollin, check your undies...you sharted yourself this time.

12. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Check and see if the teams can work at a registered shoot and the money going back to the teams treasury. We have various youth groups working our large shoots and they get a nice chunk of change for the few days they work. Depending on the numbers it could be over $1,000+.

Don

13. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Any of you know of a H.S. shooting team in the Chicago area?

14. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Rollin, sometimes the pride in our own accomplishments gets in the way of good sense. I'm sure you meant well. Perhaps a free copy of your book for an auction would be a nice gesture and help the team earn their way into this very expensive sport.

15. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Several local trap teams work the concession stands at local gun shows. Many parents will bake some treats to be sold. The treat taste marvelous..... not that I speak from personal experience! Some stores will donate some of the food which helps increase the profit. Some gun shows allow the local trap team to raffle a gun off, which may be donated. In years past, the crowd may reach 2000 per day. Many parents also help staff the concession areas. Some students go out to pick up orders from vendors and deliver their food and change to their tables, which really helps if the vendor is busy. I told them that taking the toilet paper out of the bathrooms and selling it to the show guests went a little to far. LOL. Some schools have an adopt a flat sponsorship which makes it easy to donate a flat of shells to your trap team. Some teams sell T shirts with cool student designs (prepaid orders only) which makes them money and gets publicity for the team. Some innovative teams have a Rent a Kid program where team members can be rented (with parent approval) to help adults do things they don't like to do. Examples of this are technology related items like: Setup up your cell phone, build a web site, build a Power Point presentation, design a graphic or logo, load music on your MP3 player, install a digital to analog converter box. You know, the things we adults don't like to do. ROFL.
    Omaha

16. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

ROLLIN, IF YOU WANT TO SELL TWO FOR THE PRICE OF ONE, I'LL SEND YOU A CHECK FOR THE $32 AND YOU CAN SEND THE SCHOOL TEAM THE TWO BOOKS.YOU CAN PICK UP THE SHIPPING UNLESS SOMEONE ELSE WANTS TO. MIKE.

17. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Mike - No need. I just PMed Shaun offering two books if he sends his mailing address.

Rollin

18. SR1

SR1 TS Member

Rollin I want to publicly thank you for your donation it will be greatly appreciated. I sent you a pm with my mailing address. I also want to let those of you that said I could contact them for help and ideas that I will try to most likely this weekend. I just got home from the hospital my girlfriend just gave birth to a healthy baby girl this am and things are kind of hecktick today.
    Thank all of you very much Shaun.

19. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Hey Shaun, Jon Reitz ere. I think Steve White is your man. He goes by hkrieghoff200 on here. Good hunting...

Jon

20. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

What? Shaun ain't been a-shootin blanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.