1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help for a Beretta 391

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jm1079, Mar 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Just found out that the recoil absorber that is inside the receiver at the rear, broke off. Called Beretta customer service and after an hour of holding, was told that the part number is C70564 but is not available and they do not know when they are getting them.
    I would like to hear from someone who has had this problem and how they solved it without sending the gun to Beretta. Thanks. JM

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

TRON!!, TRON!!, Where's Tron.....

These damn guns aren't supposed to ever break....hehehe

3. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Relax. It's easy and cheap to replace, but you need to address the cause before repairing. It can be caused by a weakening recoil spring or using too stiff of a load without compensating by using the correct gas valve spring. If I were you, I would replace the recoil spring regardless.

To replace the buffer, you need to gut the action (remove forearm, barrel, trigger assy., bolt and linkage), remove the stock and just above the recoil tube you will see where the buffer is pressed in. Take a punch and knock out the old buffer towards the inside of the receiver. Put the new buffer in place and stake it in with a squared punch from the receiver side toward the butt. Done.

You can get the parts (recoil spring and buffer) from Cole's gunsmithing. If they are out of stock, Email me, I have all parts for those guns.

4. ismah

ismah Member

JM, Phillips Gunsmith was real helpful to me. My Berreta 391 had some similar problems and he got the part to me in a week. His # is 210 313-5988. Give him a call or e-mail at, info@phillips-gunsmithing.com.

5. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Like Tron said, there's a reason that buffer broke. Contact Cole's and get a replacedment buffer and a couple replacement recoil springs. I change the recoil spring in my 391 every 7000 to 10,000 rounds.

~Michael

6. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Thanks everybody and especially Tron for the do-it-yourself instruction. Will order the buffer(s)and springs from Cole's. JM

7. coldtrail

coldtrail Member

There is no such thing as customer service when it comes to Beretta

8. Joe O

Joe O Member

That little buffer fell out of mine within the 1st 1000 rounds. My gunsmith (Tom Hendricks)made me one out of plastic that's been in place for 60,000 rds now. Mine wasn't caused by age or heavy loads but it is easy to fix. Don't panic they're great guns!
    joe O

9. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i have got to ask- how do you know that it broke or needs replaced? or is it a piece simply found in the reciever!

10. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

i was on the line when suddenly my bolt would not go back far enough to eject an empty hull and after i finished my line with myt backup, i took off the trigger assembly and saw a piece of plastic material right under the link looking down on the up-ended receiever. jm

11. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

thanks- learn something everyday!!!!!!!!

12. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I wonder if, during normal cycling operations, the rear of the bolt actually hits that recoil buffer, or if it's just there "in case" it's needed? I tend to believe that it's there kind of as insurance in case the link breaks or the recoil spring becomes too weak to prevent the bolt from slamming into the rear of the receiver with heavy loads.

The 390 doesn't have this recoil buffer and I've never heard of any problems due to not having one.

Easystreet

13. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Easy, if your in doubt,take one out and the bolt will beat up the receiver just like a 390......

JM, When they first came out we had some in our area break but not lately, I had one come out and I just put it back in....GOOD LUCK

14. Easystreet

Shady Creek,

Are you saying that 390 receivers don't last very long? That certainly hasn't been my experience or the experience of the shooters who I've seen put tens of thousands of rounds through them.

Easystreet

15. Mark V

Mark V Member

Would it be a good idea to put a drop or two of blue locktite on the stem before assembly?

16. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Easystreet, no I didn't say that at all. I said the bolt "does" beat up the receiver on the 390.

I also have a 390 (my first of many) that has shot tens of thousands of rounds and the receiver "has" been beaten up by the bolt. I have taken out a little metal from the bolt grooves, hoping to keep an ear from breaking off the bolt. I have since retired that old gun to shooting knockout and it gets a new spring every year if it needs it or not. That old gun still shoots anything I put in it, from the very light, to the very heavy.

Not to start anything, just trying to help. GOOD LUCK

17. Easystreet

Shady Creek,

If, as you say, the bolt beats up the receiver on the 390, yet it causes no problems either of us are aware of, then I don't see the need of being concerned about it.

Easystreet

18. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

To beat it up or not to beat it up, that, is the question. If I were smart enough to put a buffer in a 390, I would, new and old......GOOD LUCK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
beretta 391 plastic recoil

beretta 391 recoil absorber fell out

beretta 391 recoil buffer