1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HELP for 391, Part 2

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jm1079, Apr 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Just finished replacing the recoil buffers on my two 391s. When it came to reassemble the bolt assemblies and install them in the receiver, I had no problems with one of them. With the other gun, the bolt would not go in all the way into back of receiver. It seemed like something was preventing it from going more that an inch or so backwards. I tried both of the bolt assemblies on this gun, and neither of them worked.
    Thanks in advance for any helpful input. JM

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

3. SPRINTBENDER

SPRINTBENDER Member

The connecting rod at the back of the bolt assembly that goes down the buffer tube may be upside down. Flip it over and give it a try. Hope that helps.

Vern

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

That happens on my 303's too, never crossed my mind. good suggestion.

5. SPRINTBENDER

SPRINTBENDER Member

My kids 11 & 13 both shoot a 302 and 303. The rule at my house is…If you shoot it… you clean it. (EVERY TIME!) I make them break it down completely, everything but the magazine and buffer tube. A couple times they flipped it, but they have learned now.

6. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

tried the other bolt assembly which worked on the other gun, and it did not work either. I compared the link on both of them and they were installed identically. jm

7. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Banned Supporting Vendor

It takes a bit of practice, that's all. It's kind of hard for me to describe unless I show you. Anyway, here's the best that I can do: with the linkage slid just into the receiver, take your right thumb and stick it into the bottom of the receiver where the trigger assembly would be and keep slight pressure on the back of the bolt WHILE moving the linkage assembly back with your left hand.

Like I said, it takes a little practice. Sometimes it just happens right away, sometimes it takes a few tries.

8. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Ever taken apart and put back together one of those Ruger 22 pistols? Yikes,,,what a pain.

9. abiezer

abiezer Guest

If the assembly does that, just take back out of receiver,and try again,.
    that's what i do with mine,
    it'll eventually go all the way down,
    just the way most 391's are.
    the finger on back of bolt sounds interesting however, i'll have to try that,
    because i believe it is the locking lug stickin up out of the top of the bolt that causes this.

10. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Just tried out Tron's suggestion and it worked on the second try. Once again Super Tron comes to the rescue. Many thanks, Tron. I owe you. JM

11. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Sometimes you have to swear at it a couple times before it goes in.

12. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

[ Sometimes you have to swear at it a couple times before it goes in.]

Works with a lot of things.. ;-)~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.