1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help Finding the right gun fit for Wife

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Crickets, Jul 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crickets

Crickets Member

Need advise on finding a gun that will fit my wife. We've been gun shopping and have come to the conclusion that we need a stock with a specific length/ shape of grip. I know we can adjust fit for LOP, Comb and get an adjustable butt plate, so the challenge is finding something that fits her hand just right. She shot a SKB Ithaca Century trap, and even though the stock was too long and the but plate was adjusted to someone else she thought it felt great. We went out "trying on guns" today. Tried a couple Beretta 391s, a Citori, a Cynergy and a couple others. Then the sales man pulls out a SKB 85tss and she says it feels great. Seems like the the length of grip was shorter than the rest of the guns. I have spent some time on the online gun sales sites and it seems to me that the SKBs have a unique shape to the grip, more vertical, compared to others. I have read several sites on gun fitting and they all seem to concentrate on LOP, Drop at comb and offset of the butt. Is the comfort of the grip a function of how well the rest of the stock fits? We already figured we would have to spend time/money on getting a stock fitted no matter what we buy, but if the shape of the grip matters it really limits our choices. Any suggestions?

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Could be. Various grip angles can strain the forearm and trigger finger leading to bad feelings.

3. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

Might be worth looking into one of these

[​IMG]

4. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

Might be worthwhile to look into one of these.

[​IMG]

5. VetVette

VetVette TS Member

Browning used to make a ladies gun in the Citori line--can't think of the model # right now---the bad part in my opinion was they made it in red, aqua, and the natural wood---so if you don't care for the two painted colors, the number of shotguns available might be slim---I understand they don't make them new anymore---Semper Fi--Dave

6. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

No matter what you buy Precision Fit Stocks makes a mechanical stock that can be configured any way she needs. It's probably the best way to determine what shape stock you'll need to have made after she shoots it for a year or so.

Bought one for my wife and put it on a Perazzi MX-8 top single which she shot for 10 months before we determined a "specific fit" for her in a wood stock.

7. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I like the grip quite well on my SKB 85TSS, and they are good guns for the price. Service and turn-around time in Omaha were very good.

8. mrsvatrap

mrsvatrap TS Member

Have to agree that a Wenig ladies stock or a PFS is the way to go. I have a short LOP and a very small hand. Have the Wenig on my 1100 and the PFS on my BT99.
    Cheryl

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Whatever you do, make sure its HER CHOICE!

10. primed

primed Well-Known Member

My experience is that if you buy enough guns, she will steal the one that fits her. When she finds one that fits her better, she will steal that and pass the other one on to one of the kids. It's a cyclical thing. Once the kids are don with them, they never come back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.