1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

help-disposal pc

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by tcr1146, Mar 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

According to my daughter-in-law, I should not give my wife's pc away until the harddrive has been "adjusted"?! Do I have to destroy this pc before I donate it to Goodwill?! Thanks, Dinosaur Rhoads

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Is it a laptop or a tower??

Best thing is to remove the H/D from the machine (easy to do on a tower - a laptop - well, that depends...)

You can buy a housing for the old H/D (you'll need to know the 'form factor' of the drive) and use it to transfer files from the old to the new machine, or you can use it to back up data (photos, music, etc.).

Doing this assures that no one will get your info.

If you are passing the macine on to someone else a new H/D costs very little and the expense they may bear is well worth knowing you are secure.

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Just remove the hard drive..very easy..then you can destroy it to make it unreadable...they make programs that erase by doing total write-overs..but guessing you wouldn't want the expense of purchasing said program..you can beat it with a hammer..or drill holes...or if you have access to a de-gaussing wand (old TV shops have them) or a really big magnet...only you know how personal the info is on your pc and how much you need it gone

4. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Wow! So you are telling me that I have to make it "inoperable" or unable to donate it!? Okay, I have certainly burned, shot and body slammed push mowers and weed whackers and garden trackers so I ought to be able to do this! Tom Rhoads

5. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

Yes,disable it the best way is to drill the hard drive.Most places,if its older than 3yrs dont even want it. Ray

6. dhip

dhip Active Member

You do not destroy computer,just harddrive,I know our refuge site has a building for all eletronics,so they do not end up in landfill.They have contracted with businesses that recyle electronics.Calvin had the best idea,especially if you've pulled all your info you want saved onto a disc or another hard drive.I usually take the hard drive out,leave the rest of the machine intact,put it in the recycle building(for electronics,) pitch the hard drive with the rest of the garbage into the landfill area.

Doug H.(pa)

7. 100straight

100straight Member

You can go to the link above and download a free cleaner that will totally wipe the hard drive. The main site is download.com, so you can search for other free software also.

Mark

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

There are programs available like Mark says to wipe the Hard Drive clean ... You can usually get a free download if search on Google ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Shooting a hard drive is a llot of fun though..revenge for every time it locked up on you ..putting a few holes in it just plain feels good knowing you're getting even ; ))

sabcon thanked this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.