1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help deciding Trap Gun for my wife

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wklkj, Aug 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wklkj

wklkj TS Member

Hello! My wife and I are new to trap shooting and we both like it a lot. My wife has been 'borrowing' guns to use for 3 weeks now during our gun club's 'open shoot' night. I have a Mossburg 12 gage, 500 pump that I've owned for 30 years. The gun is way too big for my wife who's 5' tall. She's tried a few 20 gage shotguns that club memebers let her use and she likes them, however we've been told that if she's serious about trap shooting, she should really try and find a 12 gage gun because they say the 20 gage won't be as effective.

I know this is probably a tough question to ask, but I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a starting point for us to begin looking at possible guns for my wife. Is it possible to find a 12 gage gun that is 'short' enough to fit her well?

Is it true that she should not consider a 20 gage gun?

Thanks!

Wayne

2. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

A 20 gauge would be an interim gun at best. If she quits you wont have lost much, but if she gets hooked you'll still have to replace it. It has the advantage of less recoil, but it's more difficult to break targets with. Breaking targets is what keeps you coming back.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be looking for a:

Browning BT99 PLUS Micro.

It won't be easy to find and it won't be cheap, but it is an ideal gun for a woman, especially one of smaller stature.

There are some automatics out there that will help with the recoil, and I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions. However, most of them seem heavy (nose-heavy) and unless your wife likes to hit the freeweights, she'll take a while to develop the stamina for multi-event shoots.

If you can't find a Micro, try to find a 32" BT99 Plus and then have it fitted for her. Remember now BT99 PLUS. Good luck.

3. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

A BT99 plus is indeed an excellent choice. I found a Citori Plus for my wife which provided her with a second barrel for shooting doubles. She started with a Rem 1100 trap and did well but she absolutely loves her plus gun. There are many competent gunsmiths who can alter a stock to fit her.

Robert

4. trapshooter5

trapshooter5 Member

I sent Email re:
    Remington 1100 12 guage.I will sell w/13 1/2" LOP-perfect for lady or smaller shooter.$300 plus shipping. Paul in Virginia

5. citadel

citadel Active Member

I suggest that you get a gun set that is both very functional and good looking. With a wife looks count. They need to be visually pleased with what they are doing as well as shooting well. I just purchased a Beretta 682 Gold here on Trapshooters for a reasonable price with nice wood and my wife shot a 25 second time out using the unsingle. She has only been shooting for a couple of months. If you rig it correctly and fit it to her the recoil should not be a big problem even with a 12 gauge. (use 1 oz loads to keep the recoil down) Initally we used a Gooey pad recoil pad and that worked very well to absorb the felt recoil then I put a PFS stock on it to take out as many variables as possible including excessive recoil and she just loves the gun set.
    Do not get her anything less than you would shoot yourself so that she does not feel like a second class citizen. Keeping Mom happy is very important.

Doug

6. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

I don't know all the hype about the BT-99 PLUS is, a normal BT-99 micro will do just fine. However be careful with the BT's. I have heard that if they do not fit well, they have a lot of recoil. I shoot a BT, but it fits me well and I have no issues with recoil what so ever. Luckily, BT's are not hard guns to find on the range, so see if she could shoot one and if the recoil works out for her, and she breaks targets, well then you're sold right then and there. You can spend a whole heck of a lot more money on a trap gun, and still not get too much of a better gun than a BT-99.
    -Trappy

7. tomlieb

tomlieb Member

I recently bought a Beretta 3901 target model, this gun has an adjustable comb, the LOP is adjustable by adding or subtracting spacers, from something less than 13" to 14". This is a gas auto that can cycle light 12 ga 1 oz extra light loads and still smash targets without any noticable recoil at all. I bought it after watching several youngsters shoot this model in competition with very good results. Perhaps it is a little heavy in the muzzle for my 9 yr old granddaughter, I think a mature woman should have no problem with it and the absolute lack of recoil will make it a joy for them to shoot.
    Tom

8. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Get her a Beretta 3901 RL 26" or 28" barrel. 12" LOP w/ two 1/2" spacers, adj comb.
    $925.00
    Mike Battista
    727 410 5212

9. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

My wife shoots a Joel Etchen Combo 32 O/U and a 34" unsingle with a PFS. The PFS has all the adjustments you will ever need. If you had to sell the gun you put the stock stock back on with no alterations
    My wife is 5'3" and the gun work well for her. The last shoot she shot a 99/100

10. below 0

below 0 TS Member

If you are able to get a Trap Gun for your wife, please send me the man's name as I would like to trade my wife in for a trap gun also...Seriously, look at a Beretta auto or 1100 Rem as a starter gun for her so there is less recoil. lol Dale

11. missemucho

missemucho Member

Another vote for the 1100 with light one ounce loads; perfect for beginners.
    John

12. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

A nice 391 should do the trick.

13. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

If I had a daughter or wife who is 5 feet and petite, and knowing what I know now, I would buy a Remington 1100 28 gauge with a full choked 25 inch barrel, and a MEC sizemaster reloader as a starting point. If reloading is not an option, than a remington lt-20 witha 26 inch barrel. Third option would be a 12 gauge semi with a 26 inch barrel and one of Ken Rucker's autobump installed. For what its worth. JM

14. eperry

eperry Member

I woud not under any circumstances get a 20 gauge. As a female shooter I hear all the time about recoil, if the gun fits and is heavy enough that is not on issue. I think the browning bt with the smaller stocks are a good start. I personally dislike autos, especialy if new shooter will have to clean it regularly to have is function well, and I don't know about you but cleaning and auto is a pain. My first trap gun was the browning Citori.

15. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

My most recent rookie female student turned a few heads at the local gun club when she showed up with a gorgeous almost new KS-5 Special. At 5'4" tall with fairly long arms and good arm strength, she took to a 14" LOP rather quickly. My 5'4" wife shoots a standard 14 3/8" LOP K-80 and usually recommends longer stocks for women than conventional thinking believes.

That said, beg, borrow or steal a BT-99 Micro Plus with a 32" barrel and never look back. LOP runs between 13 1/2" and 14" and is fully adjustable. Recoil is negligible, visibility outstanding and most women enjoy the simplicity of a break open gun over the autoloader.

Resale value is very high!!

16. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

I have a Browning Micro BT99+SS that I would sell for $1895.00.
    Don

17. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

Until you know for sure your wife is gonna tear it up on the trapfields, I would also suggest an older 1100. They are very affordable and great pheasant guns if the trap thing doesn't work out. Ask me, I know.

18. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

I had the same situation and bought my wife a Beretta 391. We then put a Wenig lady's stock on it and a good recoil pad, and she loves it. In particular, she likes the low recoil. The Wenig lady's stock is shorter and twisted in a way to make it very comfortable for women.

In an aberration moment a few weeks ago my wife outshot me at 21 yards using this gun. (I'm sure that was caused by the fact that I was shooting from 22 yards; I don't expect to allow it to happen again.) It certainly endeared the gun to her.

All kidding aside, the combination of a Beretta 391, a Wenig lady's stock and a good recoil pad seems like a pretty good arrangement. And if your wife doesn't like it, put the original stock back on it and you have a hell of a good trap gun for yourself.

Ted K.

19. donnelson

donnelson TS Member

id take anything you can get for her i got an 1100 for my wife the best trade i ever made

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.