1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HELP cleaning oxidized shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by berta686, Dec 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berta686

berta686 TS Member

I have some realy bad oxidized shot Ive tried a tumbler, washing in vingar. I cant find any thing to clean it

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

That is really hazardous to do- once it becomes particulate in nature- after buffing it - the particles in the air and on your hand can kill you

commercial companies do it in a cement tumbler

Throw yours away

Seriously

Or shoot it as it is- with the understanding that the wad should buffer it from the walls of your barrel

regards from Iowa

Gene

3. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

On shot that was not really oxidized badly I have had some success with this: If you have access to a concrete mixer put the shot in and spray in a little WD-40 as the mixer turns. Don't saturate with WD-40, just enough to very lightly coat the shot. Add a small amount of graphite and let it run until the shot looks smooth on the outside. Some of the oxidation will likely remain on the shot but will be contained. Don't breathe any of the dust that may come out of the mixer.

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Do what Gene said or find a metals recycler to take it off your hands!

MK

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

If care is used when reloading, there is nothing wrong with shooting oxidized shot. Make sure there are no clumps of shot that can block the shot drop tube. There is probably less risk just loading the stuff than trying to clean it.

Pat Ireland

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"There is probably less risk just loading the stuff than trying to clean it."</i></blockquote>Probably, but it's grubbing around in it looking for clumps and pouring it out of its container and into the shot hopper that's gonna make the mess.

MK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.