1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help choosing trap gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mimitrap, Apr 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mimitrap

mimitrap TS Member

I am trying to choose a good first trap gun. I would like to keep it under $1000 arround $800 would be best. I would like to have an over/under 12 gauge. I am hoping some of you out there can help me. First off I am a lady about 5'1 so please keep that in mind. the recoil has not bothered me so shooting a 12 gauge is not a problem (that's what I have been shooting). The youth guns might fit better but haven't found any 12 gauge out there. I plan on having the gun cut to fit my LOP. Thank you for any help you can give me. I am East of Houston, Texas if anyone knows of a good gun dealer.

One thing I forgot is I shoot left handed.

Michelle

2. 100straight

100straight Member

If you're only going to shoot singles, a Browning BT-99 Micro (Plus if you can find one) but these may be over your budget.

If doubles or skeet, a Remington 1100 with a 28" barrel and shortened LOP, and this should be in your budget.

I've helped numerous ladies get started shooting over the years, and with whatever gun you choose I'd advise considering an adjustable buttpad so the toe can be adjusted out from the chest for the shooting comfort of the lady.

My 2 cents. Others will vary, I'm sure.

Mark

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

O/U trap guns have two common traits. They are heavy and expensive. If you get one that is light, the recoil will accumulate and beat you down. If you have access to light reloads, that might be an option. True O/U trap guns will have at least 30" barrels and shoot a high pattern. My suggestion would be to look for a quality O/U (Browning, Beretta, etc.) and have an adjustable comb installed. Another option would be to get a Remington 1100 with a full choke barrel and buy a Jack West Youth stock with a short LOP and adjustable comb. see link above. If you plan to seriously get into trap shooting, the cost of the gun will become a minor expense. Mark

4. hoosier

hoosier TS Member

Beretta makes a nice auto and a Browning Citori is a good gun.

5. mimitrap

mimitrap TS Member

Thank you to everyone who has helped. I will check out all the guns. Again thank you.

Michelle

6. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Beretta RL (reduced length) Parallel Target

7. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

If you gotta have an O/U then look for a used Browning Citori. A lot of bang for the buck! You can still find a nice old model for 800 to a grand.

8. JT 27

JT 27 Member

Beretta 391 auto, very light recoil, extremely reliable, has stock adjusters to offset for a lefty. A lot of used ones on the market and can get for well under $1000. Any decent O/U will be over $1500.

9. Timd3200

Timd3200 Member

If you want a over O/U you can find nice older Citori traps for 800. Have the stock fit to you and you will have a great gun. I started with one and shot it really well. Have fun!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
choosing a trap gun

choosing first trap gun