1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

help choke change from 16 yd line 20mph wind?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by daveship, Feb 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daveship

daveship Member

i will be shooting in a tournament tomorrow. there will be winds blowing right at me at 20mph. i am shooting 1200fps 1 and an eighth 7.5 i usually use improved modified choke. should i change chokes? change load? help!!

2. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Should you change chokes because of the weather? No.

Should you be using a Full (or Extra Full) choke all the time? Yes.

3. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Wind in your face, Leave the gun in the case!!!!!!!! Forgot who said that, But it's good advice.

Jim

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Don't change a thing.

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Leave everything alone!!! Just shoot the gun like you normally would. Changing to try to beat the wind is an excercise in futility. It will not help. It's like trying to tell a hair raising story to a bald headed man: Waste of time and energy... Dan Thome (Trap2)

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Change nothing at all!! Your IM will destroy targets. With a 20 mph wind in your face, watch out for dying of or increasing wind speeds which will affect the heights of clays!

Hap

7. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Just like everyone else said, leave everything alone. Don't screw with your mind about changing the physical function of the gun. You'll need all that for your brain to concentrate more when those targets start jumping around.

Bryan

8. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Depending on your hold point..I usually drop it for a windy day.. and try and get on the bird a little quicker.. A windy day is not a time to ride targets.. This may.. or not be your shooting style.. and a regestered match is not the place to "try" new things.. Good luck..All Good.. Mike

9. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

As what has been said. Don't change chokes or shells. Get down on the house so you see the bird earlier and you can shoot it a little quicker before it starts to dance. Also praying helps.

Don

10. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

If I may add to this a little, add some eyedrops this evening and tomorrow morning to keep your eyes from watering as bad. For some reason my eyes water like crazy during the winter month when the wind is in my face.

If you don't suffer from this issue, I'm envious.

ss

11. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Don't change a thing. Your already psyching yourself about the wind, DON'T. If you do this tomorrow morning you may just want to leave your gun in the case. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

12. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Don, I liked the praying thing! I may have to try that next. lol Bill

13. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

I shot my first 100 in a 20mph head wind, the other AA's didn't..
    1145 1 1/8 8's through an IM choke..Would have used the full but forgot
    to change after doubles the prior day? didn't matter too much..

14. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I disagree with the notion that you should step up your pace in the wind. The wind will push birds both down and up. The flat ones are normally the ones that get you. Especially after you've shot 20 high birds.

I don't like to do it, but I actually slow down a bit and make sure I've read the target flight before I commit my swing. It prevents you from arbitrarily making a high bird move on a flat target.

There are some birds that are darn near impossible to break. Forget it and move on. Everyone has to shoot the same birds. Pay attention and you'll be OK.

15. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Most of what you've read above is good advice. However, I do wonder about one comment - slowing down. It has been my experience that in a headwind, targets often tend to stair step and if they do it becomes difficult to shoot a score. In a wind 20mph or higher you might want to shoot "wind shells."

BB

16. 1ozreloader

1ozreloader TS Member

Put the full choke in and leave it.

17. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Don't change a thing

18. kansasshooter

kansasshooter Member

Also, be sure to keep your head on the stock and stay in the gun. I've learned you can sometimes get away with liftin your head when it's calm out, but it'll bite ya every time when it's windy. Shooter mistakes are more magnified when it's windy.

19. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

#8s
    Clyde

20. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Your choke and shells are just fine.

I agree with Setterman. We often get strong head winds in my neck of the woods, and I tried shooting faster. The trick is to shoot much faster. If you shoot only a little faster, you will be shooting where you think the bird ought to go, but by the time you actually pull the trigger, the wind moved it. On a really good day, I can shoot the birds really quickly.

Most of the time, I'm better off slowing down and looking to see what the wind is going to do to the bird. I usually take birds at about 25 yards. When it's windy, it's about 30 yards or a touch more. My scores are a little better that way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.