1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HELP! Chevy - Ford or Dodge 1 ton truck?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bob Schultz, Oct 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

For thirty five years I've had Ford trucks, never had any trouble with one until the last 2005 F350 diesel dually crew cab. The overall quality of the truck has been fine, however I can't seem to cure the overheating problem it's had since I got it. Ford has been good about honoring the guarantee and fixed it every time ... sort of. As it only has 75K miles on it, I hate to get rid of it, however, I just don't trust it and the 5yr guarantee is up in November. The next time the motor poops out could cost a ton!

This last trip to the MO Fall Handicap we had more overheating problems and made it home sort of limping in. I am getting tired of the problem and I am going to buy a new truck as this one has depreciated out and like I said before, I don't trust it.

The local Ford dealer, where I bought it, will get me into a 2010 with a reasonable trade for my old truck and the '10s have a 7 year 200000 mile bumper to bumper add on warrantee he is willing to toss in on the deal. Any of you have the '08 or '09 diesel and how do you like them? I realize these are not economy trucks so I don't plan on great fuel economy. I just want reliability pulling our 9000 lb. trailer.

The manager of the local Chevy dealer has a Silverado 3500 4WD diesel dually crew cab with the LT1 package. About the same as the Ford LTX model. Nice accessories and a VERY comfortable crew cab. Have any of you had issues with the Duramax with the Allison transmission? What are your thoughts on the truck in general. Its a bit more money than the Ford but not enough to be a deal breaker. I could order a 2010 2WD for the same money as I have no use for 4WD.

And then there is Dodge. The Dodge folks have put a lot of thought into their new Mega Cab truck. LOTS of room for people. As 3 of us travel most of the time the giant cab appeals to me. the Cummings turbo diesel has plenty of power and the newer trucks seem quiet compared to the older ones. They come with a Jake-brake for hills which seems handy. Anyone want to chime in on Dodges? It is the most modestly priced of the 3. I drove a 4WD version and it was not quite as nice as the Ford or Chevy but it was a three grand less ... you can get a lot of seat cushions for $3000.... the rest of the truck had about the same option package as the other two.

Thanks for reading this stuff and if you have an opinion I'll be glad to read yours. Post it here, PM me or send me an email to the above address.

Regards to all, Bob Schultz

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Bob, I've had my Duramax diesel crew cab for 3 years, 157,800 miles. No issues, change the oil and tires. I'm pricing a new one right now. The dealers are telling me that GM is not making any from November till next April, so they may be hard to get for a while. While towing a loaded equipment trailor, the Allison tranny actually slows the truck down when your stopping. Hell of a transmission. I'm averaging 17 mpg overall. Best truck I've had, but I hate the fact that the gov't owns GM now. It's enough to make me switch to a Ford.

3. 5spd

5spd TS Member

Right now the GM package is the way to go, thats what Ive been reading on the truck sites and others.
    The ford diesel 6.0? has a ton of problems still. They should of kept the 7.3
    Dodge owners are complaining of a ton of issues also in the new diesels they have . The cummings is still rated at the top. The new ones I understand are not cummings engines.

That leaves the duramx and allison trans that have had very little iof any problems.

I dont drive a diesel, but looking to get one thats why Ive been looking at truck/towing sites. I do own a 2007 4.8L GM P/U though.

4. high 2

high 2 Member

I bought a 09 1 ton 4 door dually duramax in August. Traded in my 03 that worked just fine. One problem, on our yearly trip to The World Skeet Championships it developed a slight oil leak. When we got back to Oklahoma took it back to the dealer. Come to find out the 09`s have a sub standard turbo housing that cracked causing oil to to leak. GM has gone to a new vender for the new turbo, and parts won`t be available until the 22nd of December. I have to watch the oil levels, still hacks me off to have $50,000 in a truck with 7,000 miles that leaks oil. I do truly like this truck, and bought a chevy because of the Ford overheating problem. high 2

5. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Bob, I read about many unhappy owners of the new 6.7 Cummins in the Dodge trucks, and the Ford 6.4 owners complaining of only around 14 mph highway running empty. I have only had a few minor problems with my Ford 6.0 and another option for you is to get the ESP 7 year 200,000 extended warranty before your 5 years are up. Your towing 9,000 lb. should not be a problem for your truck. I would find another Ford dealer to diagnose the over heating issue. If you have experienced puking from the degas bottle when the over heating occurred, you might be lifting the heads because of the turbo putting out too much psi. With the right tool you can check the coolant for exhaust gas if this is the problem. The extended warranty will cost about $1,800

6. Captain Bud

Captain Bud TS Member

I think that I saw something about Ford coming out with a new engine for the 2011 model diesel--350 or60 horse with 730 ft lbs of torque. You may want to check that out.

My 2004 Dodge is getting 21 mpg on the freeway at 67 mph. The truck only has 39000miles and runs great. 6 speed stick.

Phil

7. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

I drive a 2006 FORD F250 ,SHD, 4x4, for work..V10 GAS..8MPG..(10MPG downhill with a tail wind)..Sure glad it is the company's truck!..3500 miles a month..Sheesh!..lb

8. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Bob, being a GMC dealer for 36 years and been up and down the road on diesels, GM is the way to go. The Duramax has come a long way and the Allision is by far and away the finest transmission on the market. I talk often to Ford Dealer friends and yes, they do have issues with the Diesel at this time. Don't get me wrong, Ford is a great truck, but at this time,I would recommend the GM.

9. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

<em>"DURAMAX"</em>

What do you mean overheating problem?????

A diesel at 200 degrees is normal.

Look in the coolant overflow tank while it's running and at temp. and see if there any bubbles.....If there are bubbles in there, you have a compression leak. Also look and see if the coolant is clean or has black floaters in it.

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Wish I could give you a heads up as far as new diesels go Bob...But I'm firmly in the other camp..I have the V10 gas in my F350...never 1 problem ..runs perfect and tows anything like a dream...yes its a bit thirstier (14 solo highway/11 towing) but I make that up easily in the difference in price in the oil changes..plus the price of fuel for oil burners is going to take off again if our winter turns severe or a refinery bites the dust, not to mention the 9k the diesel costs that you can put in your pocket.
    Somebody always brings up resale...I have had offers to buy my 5 year old truck that are about 70% of its MSRP.
    After 5 years my truck runs so smooth and quiet it takes constant glancing at the tach to know its actually idling. Just my experience for you to know the other side of the coin...if I ever do wear this truck out in another 250K or so ..I can replace this engine for under 5000 with a brand new crate engine that give it a whole new life...for less than a diesels cost to do a turbo rebuild/injector maintainance.
    If you really need more power ..Jack Roush is now making an intercooled twin screw supercharger that will turn the V10 into a Peterbilt killer..JM.02$

11. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Bob,

I admit that I do not tow very much but I was looking at the Toyota Crewmax and that is the biggest backseat i have ever seen. I beleive it is rated to pull about 10,000 lbs.

Charlie

12. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

If you do not tow a lot, a diesel is a waste....I know a couple of fleet owners that went back to gas for the same reasons CalvinMD mentioned. Hired help is a diesels nightmare. Diesels, especially the throw away light diesels,of today, need to be treated better than a gas if you want it to perform well for you.

13. Joen

Joen Member

Have a 2009 GMC 4wd dualy nice truck have to take the right front tire off to change fuel filter, living in Iowa that is going to be a night mare when it get below 0, becuase no fuel supplier has the feezing up problem solved, that is caused by adding water to the fuel for removing the sulfur than dewatering the fuel for use the standard spec today is allowing .5 gals of water per 100 gals of fuel and that is a fact! So we are looking for a fuel line heater wright now and driving around town 10.5 MPG

14. jsa3107

jsa3107 TS Supporters TS Supporters

In 1997 I bought our 1st diesel for our drywall company
    since then we have owned 6 diesel trucks
    All have good points and bad points
    The dodge was a 2001 model and while the engine is great the rest of the truck was junk
    tranny at 34,000
    2 sets brakes in 72,000 mile
    Front end parts one after anouther
    and many many more problems
    That was and will be my last dodge
    2002 ford was a good truck to about 96,000 miles and then the oil pan rotted out and had to be replaced got it back it was still elaking so then the dealer says real main seal bad I was lucky it was only 100 per fix due to the warranty
    After getting it back the rear main seal was still leaking and at 98,000 miles the dealer asked me to get rid of it as he had to pay for the repairs
    By the way on the fords you have to remove the body to do many of the engine repairs very costly out of warranty
    I did get rid of it and bought 2 gms after that
    Both have been decent truck one with 108,000 2005 duramax
    One with 72,000 2006 duramax
    I just ordered a 2010 ford 350 diesel mostly due to the fact there arent any 2010 gms diesels being made at this point
    Also the ford is a better deal as far as price
    There are many diesel forums do a google and put in diesel forums there is a ton of information there

Here is one I use http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/

Sorry for the long post
    Oh by the way the 1997 ford is still going strong 200,000 miles (same tranny)
    mark

15. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

You might give a closer look at the 250's instead of the 350's. Last I looked there is not that much difference in the towing capabilities. That said, the dually does give a smoother ride than the others. I always use the biggest add on transmission oil cooler that I can find. The heat from the transmission does cause the engine to run significantly warmer. Do some more research and check out some of the p/up sites to see what people are havinf problems with.

Bob W

PS Using the add on oil cooler caused my 1 ton to run significantly cooler, never gets above half way on the temp gauge. Next one is most likely to be 3/4 tonner. For the price difference of just the tires alone, and the better mpg not using the dually HD rear end. Difference in the gear ratio on the super dutys

16. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Bob,

When I was selling reloading components, I bought a 20ft trailer and a 2006 Ford F-250. I loved the Ford. I bought it used with 60k miles on it. I put around 30k miles on it. Never had a problem with it, but I hated the mileage. My Father has a 2006 Dodge 2500 and it would get 5-8 more MPG than the Ford. When I got out of the reloading components business, I sold both the truck and trailer. It doesn't take a Diesel to haul Decot Glasses and Gun Oil around. LOL! At this past Grand, I was eating inside the 17th Street BBQ inside the main building. I overheard two guys at a table next to me talking about Diesels. I started talking to them. One of the guys owned a Construction Company, and told me that he had 10 diesel trucks in his business. He told me that he had all the BIG 3 (Ford, Dodge, and Chevy). He informed me at the end of the year that the Chevrolet was the most cost effective. By cost effective I mean maintanence, gas mileage, etc. He told me that it wasn't even close.

Matt Woodson

17. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I would stick with Ford. They had the insight years ago to downsize and streamline. Many, I mean many diehard Chevy guys are going to Ford. Also Dodge has terrible resale values. Aside from that, everyone of them have they're own unique features that set them apart. My Ford truck was the best truck I ever owned. My current '05 GMC is terrible. Ford is my next truck.
    Enjoy the shopping experience. Dave T.

18. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I just bought a new Chevy 2500HD but chose the 6L gas over the diesel. I will use it for towing about 20% of the time but the $9000 extra for the diesel will buy a lot of gas along with the savings in maintenance. And where I live I don't have to plug it in at night to keep it warm.
    I'm getting 14mpg in town and 17.5 Hwy so far, I can't say I'd be saving that much by driving a diesel with gas costing $2.74 vs. $2.99 for diesel.
    I did own a GMC diesel once, remember when they put them in a car about 20 years ago, now there was a junk engine !

19. Larry 64

Larry 64 TS Member

I'm another fan of the V-10 gas Ford. 6 qt oil changes, $7000.00 savings off the bat is a lot of fuel, power up the azz and the spark plug blow out issue was fixed years ago.

20. jsa3107

jsa3107 TS Supporters TS Supporters

The problem with gas is the resale
    lets say you have 110,000 on the vehicle the diesel still has very good value the gas doesnt...
    And anouther problem is the v-10 will get bad mileage and will be very hard to sell no matter how many miles....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.