1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HELP- cant pull trigger

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by acss, Aug 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

have a fellow shooter really struggling- has never had a problem with flinching- but now he hangs on the rock trying to pull the trigger!! i will say that he switched back to his mdl 12 due to other gun in the shop. he had the mdl 12 trigger worked on set to 2.8# pull. thot that wud help but hasnt . he labors pulling the trigger approx 1 out of 8 or 10 shots. his scores went from 92/94 to low 80's?????????? wally riebesell 660-744-4115

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Get his other gun back from the shop. And don't mess with the trigger. HMB

3. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Above comments good, but...to solve the flinch problem you must correctly identify the cause. I have a bad shooting shoulder and the "can't pull the trigger" flinch hit me when I was taking a lesson from Leo Harrison...extremely embarrasing. I went to a PFS and with some padding on my shoulder my brain finally said ok now you can pull the trigger. I have release triggers and don't use them. Once I got rid of the pain, the fun returned. The pain can be subtle and you think it doesn't bother you, but the subconscoious is the boss. IMHO

JON

4. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

I agree with Jon, need to address the problem itself. Shooting any gun, the brain can see the flinch with dry-fire, so have him shoot a round with a snap-cap. Then lighter loads, heavier gun, good gun fit, and an occasional snap cap shot (like with ball-n-dummy shooting a pistol,) to reinforce. Lots of dry firing always helps with any gun, if executed perfectly. Phil E

5. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

All good advice you can address the problem and in a month or two after you have spent alot of money trying things ( trigger-hold-snap-cap-light loads -) ?? You can then put the release trigger in and go back to shooting well the same day .

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I'd say his mod.12 doesn't fit near as well as the other gun(weight wise,fit wise) and it's hurting him somehow when he does fire the gun! It's natural to blink or flinch away from the cause of pain, no matter how small?

I wonder if the guy would flinch with that shotgun if a vicious dog was chewing on his child's leg? In addition to pain, there's loud sounds to consider when shooting a lot of "so called easy monotonous" shots with an ill fitted shotgun. Much easier to start that bad habit when switching to such a gun if it fits different and felt recoil is much different. I shoot both types of triggers in my trap guns and my scores are the same with either! Go figger!!

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.