1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HELP, BT99 LEVER MOVES WHEN I SHOOT

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by E. Beaver, Sep 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

Today while shooting singles I noticed that my lever was moving to the right occassionally when I fired the gun. When it moved it came back in place each time. After the first time it moved I made sure it was all the way to the left but it still moved. I'm will clean the action but is there anyting else I should look for?

Thanks, Charlie

2. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

It is time to get the spring that holds it closed replaced. I had the same issue with my BT100. It should be an easy fix for a good smith with the part.
    Doug Allison

3. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

have jim flynn put springs in it charlie

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Why are you watching the lever while you are shooting? Just ask'n...........................

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Make sure you haven't over-oiled the locking bar. If you own a Browning, chances are you like to keep it from turning brown (rusting). Oil from the barrel can run down onto the locking bar, and firing the gun will cause it to "hydraulic" the lever (open). Hopefully this is all it is.

6. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

The lever spring seems to be in good shape but I will keep it in mind.

The top lever is attached to the top lever dog which in turn moves the locking bolt so the gun will open when the lever is pushed to the right.

The part of the top lever dog that fits into a slot of the locking bolt is a seperate piece that fits snugly into the rotating part of the top lever dog.

There is a very faint brass like trace indicating that the two parts may have been braized (sp) together at one time. Is this so?

Charlie

7. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

What stokinpls said. Be sure to make sure gun is not worn excessively. I have seen guns from several different makers want to open when shot because too much grease was in the monoblock slot that the locking lug "locks" into. Happened to me with a just factory serviced gun. Wiped out the excessive grease and all is well again. Marc

8. Tyrone Biggums

Tyrone Biggums Member

I had the same issue with my bt100. The lever would move when I shot and the gun even opened a few times. Had a local gunsmith replace the top lever spring and haven't had a problem since.

9. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

Thanks to all for your input.

Turns out it was a broken top lever dog.

The step by step repair in my "BT99 LOOSE LEVER REPAIR" posted on Oct 1 @ 8:10 pm.

Charlie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.