Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

HELP! Browning Adjustable Rib on the XT Unsingle

6K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Rodney1966 
#1 ·
I have a new Browning Unsingle XT and can you believe there are no directions on how to adjust the Rib? First that sucks that Browning wouldn’t include some sort of information regarding this when you spend this much money on their products. I am not slamming Browning because I love their guns, but come on.

Can someone please give me some guidance as far as adjustments go? It looks like there are two points that adjust rear, and forward. I would really appreciate any and all help.

Thank you,
Rodney

#3 ·
Rodney
Probably, like me, in your excitement you missed the papers which were in your boxes the gun came in. Two with the gun and one with the case. Anyway watch your email because Im going to send a copy of mine. I should start charging for this, as I've sent them quite a few times and each time I have to rummage around and find them again. I've had mine for about three years. By the way I'm just kidding, glad to be of help.

bill

#5 ·
It's probably like my bt-99 ar. The front has a two position adjustment and the back a screw. It's a roll pin in the front.With the pin in the bottom slot and the screw all the way down you have your lowest poi. I think...Anyway when you get it close you can move the screw in back in half turn increments and really get it dialed in. Moving the screw clockwise brings down your poi. Bill

#8 ·
Careful as the little screws on each side loosen and are expensive from Browning. they must be loosened before turning the back screw or the front knurled knob. Use the correct wrench , as they are easily " buggered". I bought one used and gentlemen on this site send me the info. You can find it online. Good luck. I changed mine and it has taken me awhile to get it back. Count the turns from the original and write it down.

Rich k Chemist

#10 ·
Bill,

Thank you for your help, and for sending the documents. I am now trying to figure out what tool is required for the two center pivot screws? I thought it would be the 2mm allen head as I had seen for adjusting other Browning ribs, but its a star pattern tool. Do you know what this is and size?

To clayshtr, I was extremely pleased with the service with Guns Unlimited, I ordered the gun, and was holding it two days later. The guy that helped me also gave me a rebate for $100 and also took $100 off at the time I bought it. A $2,695 gun for $2,495 isnt bad and they were very professional, and pleasant to work with. I would buy all guns there if I recived that kind of service.

Thanks to everyone else that responded.

Rodney

#11 ·
Rodney, look close. My XT unsingle also looks like a star but they are really allen head screws but they have been countersunk very deep. They strip very easily. When at the Grand last year I had Browning replace them with new ones and they also were countersunk deeply. Make sure you have a good allen wrench that has good, sharp edges or you will strip the heads.
You need to make sure you do not adjust the front down all the way without raising the rear also. If you do, the screw heads will hit the forearm wood.
Bob

#13 ·
I ended up using a little BLUE loctite on the center screws.

I would imagine that the fellows from Guns Unlimited are like everyone else in the world, they will treat you just like you treat them. I have had nothing but the best service and courtesy from them.

#14 ·
In terms of the adjustment process, i.e., sighting in, here's how I did it with my Browning unsingle barrel:

First, I adjusted the comb to give me a comfortable head position.

Next, I adjusted the front of the rib to give me the correct POI.

Last, I adjusted the rear of the rib to give me the stacked bead picture I wanted.

Some reiteration can become necessary, but repeating the above process will quickly drive the rib to where you want it, without any difficulty.

I, for one, think the Browning unsingle rib adjustment mechanism is the best I've ever seen. One thing I really like about it is that if you are confronted with sharply rising or dropping targets when you arrive at the trap, you can instantly adjust the front of the rib by hand to compensate for the situation. No tools, just twist a knurled self-locking nut. Very nice.

Ted K.

#15 ·
Thank you all for your replies to this thread. I am looking for a allen tool that fits properly. I had some gunsmiths look at the two screws today at our shoot, amd I think everyone agrees that a normal screw head would have been a lot more convienient, never less I love the Unsingle, but will like it much metter when I have it dialed in.

Cheers,
Rodney

#17 ·
I found the tool! Now for making the adjustments. Please let me know if this is wrong. Raising the front bead will lower the shot? Raising the back of the rib, aligns the visible site of beads? I am shooting at least 20 inches under all targets right now and need to adjust to flatten out my shots, or to cover and kill. Please let me know if I am seeing this wrong.

Thanks for all your help again,
Rodney

#18 ·
JK,

Thank you! I thought that was the case. The alignment on the beads is perfect, and the left to right is great, so I don’t think a comb adjustment is necessary on my MC stock. The pattern board shows the gun is shooting very high, which is why I'm holding so low to break targets. With all the help here, and a fresh pattern board tomorrow, I will be able to correct this problem quickly with this gun, and its adjustability. I do appreciate everyone’s help. What a great place to ask questions and get very good advice.

Rodney

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.