1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help before I do something stupid

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OhioGal, Jan 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OhioGal

OhioGal Member

I have a used BT -99 mfg date 1992, I purchased this gun as a backup.
    Long story short, gun is too long. It has a gracoil and a adjustable comb on it. If I get a new stock, how do I know what will fit up to it? I thought about a PFS, I guess I have conviced myself I need the recoil reduction, and I need to move the pad down and it has to be toed out,

Is the mighty knowledgable Tron the person I need to talk with??

One of the guys on here has a rough stock he
    Is willing to sell me for a good price, I just don't know the right questions to ask, or if I can configure the gun for a better fit? I don't want to purchase something that won't work at all.

I know it's my gun, but I don't think cutting it is the answer. Help!!!!

Deb

2. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

Give Rod a call. Great work and fast turn around time http://www.rodscustomstocks.com/

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Cut it and reinstall the gracoil. Rod or Tron could do it easily. Would a shorter pad work?

4. copper

copper Member

Setterman has it right I would not spend a lot of money on a BT99 should be someone close that could do cheap

5. Paul in Mn

Paul in Mn Member

PM sent.

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Deb, it would help if we new your general location. Many times is best if you can have a face to face with the person doing the stockwork. Many excellent smiths doing work all over.

Michigan has Tron, Keith Heeg, and several others in the Detroit area.

Jim C

Michigan

7. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

I'm 5'5", 175 lbs and shoot a KS-5 32" with a LOP of 14", gun weighs 8.5lbs. I had Joe at Tron cut down the stock and fit his ajustable pad and the max length kickeez. My setup has the pad angled between 11 and 5 oclock when looking from the rear. I have literaly have no felt recoil with full HCP loads. I'm told that weight is an important factor in recoil reduction but I also think optimun pad fit at the shoulder is important to. Joe

8. OhioGal

OhioGal Member

Thanks for some feedback, I have placed this by my golden clay BT, it would take a cut to where the comb has already been cut. I shoot one ounce loads on my singles or 1 1/8 if windy.

New pad will not work, it's the same size as what I shoot now, it's the gracoil added to the regular Browning stock, my concern is the comb is connected to the gracoil, the gent sent me his paper work from Kolar where he had the pad and gracoil added.

Think I answered all the questions, I like this gun, and it's one I would consider using this year.

I don't want to make a mess of it cause I love how it shoots, I shoot my other Brownings, hunting and they are regular length, with regular Browning pad.

Please keep comment coming.
    Deb

9. OhioGal

OhioGal Member

By the way I am in NW Ohio, around Findlay area.

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I'd give Wenig a call in Missouri. They probably will have a short new american stock available for you. You probably won't need the graco stuff if the stock fits right.

Also, Dennis DeVault is somewhere close to you..

Jim

11. OhioGal

OhioGal Member

Dennis is a few hrs away, and he set up my Golden Clay. Maybe when he is up and about again.

Thanks

12. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rod is only a couple of hours away from you- Rods Custom Gunstocks- he advertises here as well

Regards from Iowa

Gene

13. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

Deb ~ WHY are you worried about this. I have ALL my guns cut to my 13 1/2" length of pull. I have Gra-Coils on most of my target guns. I never worry what is being cut...I trust my stock man. (I've had BT-99's, SKB, Beretta 682, etc) I now shoot a CG Sporting for most everything. I've never had a problem selling a cut gun. Find a good Stock man and trust him! I am currently bringing 2 of my favorite guns to be cut. They won't have gra-coils...one is a POLI sporting 12 ga sxs, worth $5000 and the other is an Ithaca 20 ga sxs hunting gun. They are both going to be cut to my length and I'm going to enjoy shooting them! ANOTHER thing....Do you reload? I reload and now use a powder, where I can reload 3/4 or 7/8 loads that have very little recoil. Makes a BIG difference. I'm not a "little girl" ~ 5'7" and 140 lbs. Reloading makes a huge difference in what I feel for recoil. New shells knock the crap out of me...even the "light" ones. PM me if you want more info.

14. Mike

Mike Member

15. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

If you are ever in the southern Ohio area (Chillicothe) I would be glad to help you with setting up your stock.
    Don

16. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Tom Smith is a Stock Fitter/stock maker in Bowling Green just down the road from you. He has fitted quite a few women. PM me if you want his number.

17. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Deb, I think your worried about cutting the stock so much that it interfears with the comb. This could be fixed by a soft touch recoil device, or a similar one that puts the adj. comb with the butt plate so they move together. Or you could go with the PFS and not touch your current wood and place it in a closit. For around $800 you can find a used PFS and get all the adj. you will ever need and also get all the recoil reduction to turn your current gun to feel like your shooting a 28 ga. What more could you ask for if you don't mind looking at the Mech. looking stock. When and if your ready to move on just sell the PFS and the gun seperately. You will get all your money back. If you cut your cut, and have stock work done you will never get back your money and in most case will make your gun harder to sell and/ or may have to settle for less money for it, than if it was still original. Do try a PFS if you can before you make your mind up. You may love it or hate it. Good Luck and break em all Jeff

18. Mike

Mike Member

19. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

Deb,
    What you need is a good stock fitter. Dennis DeVault is in Canton, Ohio and is the best in the business. Give him a call and set up a fitting. It is very reasonable, and you will get all your questions answered.
    Pat Haskins

20. OhioGal

OhioGal Member

Patrick I can not argue with you I have had Dennis set up 2 of my guns, I just get looking at those sweet stocks he does and my hubby says I drool like I was looking at a 10K diamond necklace!!!

I hope Dennis is doing ok after his knee replacement.

Deb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.