1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help!-Bair 600/Pacific 360 Owners!!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by seagiant, Jun 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seagiant

seagiant TS Member

Hi,
    I have a Bair 600 reloader I'm trying to rebuild and I am missing the primer actuator rod. From what I can gather this consist of a rod,sleeve and spring that is near the back of the reloader and hits or works the primer bar on the bottom of the loader under the shellholder plate. I have machining capabilities but need some pics and measurements from someone that has this machine. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! Greg

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I can't help much but this thread indicates its probably gonna be tough even finding someone else with one. This thread was back in 2009. Now if you need pics of Pacifics and Hornadys i can provide them but i don't have any machines with the primer feed that you describe unless you mean this design off a Pacific 300.
    grntitan_2009_250323.jpg

3. seagiant

seagiant TS Member

Hi,
    Nice 300,I have also a DL-300. That is not what I'm refering to on the Bair 600. The primer system is completly different. Thanks!

4. grntitan

OK. Just thought i'd try just in case. I have a Pacific DL366 also but no 360. Good luck finding your pics or parts. If you get a chance i'd love to see that Bair Loader. I have never seen one. I rebuild old machines as a winter hobby.

5. seagiant

seagiant TS Member

Hi,
    Yes I may have to buy another press for parts and then make the part I need from the other part and then after rebuilding,sell one to recoop my money. The long way around but a hobby is a hobby. Here are some pics of my DL-300 and the Bair 600 press. The blue parts in the background is to a Bair/Pacific 260 press I'm rebuilding. On the DL-300 I made couplings so the loader could take thicker shot and powder tubes with new caps,the original tubes are only 1/16" and crack very easily,these will stand up I think!
    seagiant_2008_0303_12.jpg

seagiant_2008_0303_13.jpg

6. grntitan

Cool. I want one now. I was gonna say looks like a Deitimeyer and then you show a real nice one. LOL I'm jealous of your machines. Did you machine some of the pieces for the Deitemeyer? Looks like the shot and powder bottle pieces are new and nice.

7. seagiant

seagiant TS Member

Hi,
    Yes as I explained in the post I built the couplings to take a 1/8" thick side wall tube instead of the 1/16" originals. Also made a new shot/powder bar out of bronze that takes MEC bushings and use a little stronger return spring and it works very smoothly! I want to eventually tear it all down and repaint the castings and put the slide post on the buffer for a mirror polish and with a little of my gun oil(Mobil One)on the post it should work pretty nice!

8. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

I had my dad's old bear and might still have it up in the attic of my garage. I'm not sure which model it was. I'll look around for it. Might have ended up in the junk pile a couple years ago. I just can't recall.

9. grntitan

10. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

sorry. must have sent it on it's way when I was cleaning up some clutter a couple of years ago.

11. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

ttt:

Randy

12. John J

John J TS Member

Seagiant, I owned 4 of the Bair 600's at one time. Indeed, there was an actuator rod on the back of the loader that made contact with an arm under the plate that swiveled in the middle and extended to the bottom of the primer slot that pressed it into the hull as powder dropped. The rod was threaded and was adjustable. You won't have any problem machining the parts when you get the patten. I also have a Deitemeyer 300 that looks new and a good selection of Texan bushings which it requires. It is one of my favorite loaders. Good luck. John

13. 333t

333t Member

Greg:

The website above has lots of information on the old Pacific reloaders. I don't see a parts diagram there but if you email the website, they might be able to give you dimensions for the priming rod, sleeve, and spring.

I owned a Pacific 360 years ago and while it could turn out some nice loads when everything worked right, the priming system was a real pain. I'll try to explain. The primer is seated at the top of the stroke in the same station that drops the powder. The rod, sleeve, and spring arrangement is supposed to partially seat the primer on the way up so that no powder is spilled at the top of the stroke where the primer is fully seated and the powder is dropped. If for whatever reason, the primer didn't seat properly, powder was spilled and clogged up the primer seating mechanism that is on the end of the arm under the shell plate. To clear this mess, I had to remove all the shells, remove the arm under the plate, clean out the powder and start over. I ended up selling the loader as it too time consuming to mess with.

I still have an old 350 that was converted to automatic primer feed using the shell plate and feed tube from a 360. This system drops the primer into the top of the 350's primer seating post and works fine. It is way more trouble free than the 360 and turns out loads just as fast. Good luck in your project.

Phil

14. seagiant

seagiant TS Member

Hi Gentlemen,
    Thanks for the insight! I still have not got the info but hope I've put enough feelers out to get something pretty soon. Thanks for the help
    I appreciate it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

deitermyer dl 300

pacific 300 reloader

pacific dl 260 reloader