1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help, Average to use starting new year?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 391 shooter, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

My discussion question is based on a 4 class shoot.

At the end of the 2010 year you have a year end card average of the following:

Singles= 95% = A class
    Doubles= 85% = B class

Now on the first shoot of the new year you have a bad day (not bagging just a bad day) and you shoot:

Singles= 89 = C class
    Doubles= 84 = C class

Does this mean I go back to C class from this point on until my scores comes up? If this is the case, where does known ability come into play?

Or do I take my last 1000 target average, including the first score of the year, and continue on?

This to me is a big gray area in the rule.

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

depends on the classifier. Most would look at your previous card, and classify you accordingly...A, B

3. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

The average that you put on your card for this year, is just calculated using the scores shot this year.

The link above explains how to use each of the areas on the card.

Here is an example of a filled in card. You'll note that the first shoot recorded is 8/30/07. That shoot ended after September 1, so it is included in the next target year; i.e., it doesn't matter when a shoot begins, it matters when it ends.

[​IMG]

4. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

start over, your old averages will be on the card and will be looked at when you classify.

tony

5. 391 shooter

OK now I get it.

If I shoot a 99 on the last shoot of the previous year and my average is 96 then I am an A shooter. (4 class shoot)

On the very next weekend I start the new yaer and shoot an 89 then I start the new year as a C class shooter. (4 class shoot)

Cool, sounds like BS to me, but hey, who am I to argue.

Filling the card out has been easy from day one, never had a problem with that, but, thanks for the info in case I did not no how.

6. running bear

running bear Member

Most places go by your last 500 targets.

Buck

7. BigM-Perazzi

391, that's not what we said...

8. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

The Rule book has a suggested protocol for classifying but it is up to the classifier. Less than 500 targets use last years average and known ability. Between 500 and 1000 targets use current years average or last years average whichever is higher. Implied but not stated is more than 1000 targets use current years average. In all cases known ability can be applied. In PITA the last 1000 targets is used and this can extend over several target years.

9. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

391 as stated in the ATA rulebook

Section C Classification

Page 21 Paragraph 5 Sub paragraph A and B

5. For better classification of shooters it is suggested that the following method be used.

a. If the shooter has less than 500 targets on current year’s Average Card, use the previous year average and known ability. b. If the shooter has between 500 and 1,000 targets (inclusive) on his/her current year’s Average Card, use the current average and known ability or the previous year’s average and known ability, whichever is higher

This should give you an answer to your question.

Bob Lawless

10. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Did ya' ever notice when the guy at the classification table is looking at your average card he always turns it over and looks at the backside too? He's looking to see what your average was LAST year.

11. BigM-Perazzi

I hate it when he looks at my backside.....

12. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Not to worry BigM-

Only in Skeet would that be a concern.............

13. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Why don't you just tell the classifier what your skill level is when you register? Isn't it better to be honest than to win a belt buckle for a class you don't belong in?

14. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Because the rule says you will present your card. Besides a shooter here or there has been known to BS a bit.

Don

15. 391 shooter

Bob,
    That is how I see it as well.

Just wanted to get some seasoned opinions on this. No big deal just a gray area.

Thanks all for comments.

I use my last 1000 targets for mine and when I get a new card each year it agrees with my numbers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.