1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help: Any Carpenter or Painter out There?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Chango2, Dec 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Wish to know: Name of brand or product of easy to work with wood filler to patch a pine molding (dent, interior of home, mad wife slammed door..) that will be painted. I'm fussy and keep stuff up. Wife mad at the "Dish Guy" who rushed an install; me? Mad that I have to take time to fix this.

Dent: About 3/4 inch long, 1/4 inch deep. What is the easiest product to work with?

Thanks,

David

2. trapshootingfran

trapshootingfran TS Member

try Elmer's wood glue and saw dust. Make a thick paste with the glue and the saw dust, push it in the dent mound it up, let it dry 24hrs and sand smooth. Prime and paint your done cheep.
    Keep shootin
    Fran

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Is the molding painted or natural finnish? HMB

4. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Painted molding...thanks for any and all help, the help so far and any others..*%%$$ this site is informative and educational. Seasons Greetings to All!!

David

5. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Sherwin and Willams sells painters spackle that works well, easy to use and sand.

I tried some from home depot with poor results. I have also used auto bondo before, it worked great to build up a higher comb and palm swell on my project gun. If you have a body shop near by they might just give you a dab of bondo and you can mix it at home.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Follow directions given above. HMB

7. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Plastik wood or bondo. Jeff

8. philk

philk Member

Usually just use drywall mud, a few coats of paint to seal it.

9. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Drill a couple of small anchor holes in it ΒΌ deep and fill all with plastic wood, sand, paint.

10. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

There's some stuff called Durham's Rock Hard, it comes in a powder, you mix it with water and it dries pretty quick and works well.

Home Repo or Lowes should had it in the paint dept.

11. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

Carpenter 42 years and I say Phil above has it right Spackeling otherwise know as dry wall Mud, very easy to sand and to paint over, wood fillers and mixing glue with saw dust all will require a lot more sanding, spackeling will feather out on the edges and you wont even know it was there, all the other methods mentioned above will leave an indication that it was patched up.
    But again like most everything on this site you are going to get a lot of advice and most of it will be bad or indiferent, Like the guy ( I wont mention his name on here that was telling me how to improve my scores when I have a 96.7 average and He has a 85,,, go figure... LOL Tony

12. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Phil & Drhunter have it correct.

Scrape the paint out of the dent (so the drywall mud will have something to bite into) and sand when dry...couple of coats of paint and you will never see where it was.

13. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I would not use dry wall mud in the area that the door could make contact with again.

14. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

I do admit it is hard to figure where the dent is if she did just slam the door, how did it hit the molding, it should not have hit the molding unless she slammed it so hard that it came off the hinges, ???????

15. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I was thinking the same thing.

16. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Painted wood....use lightweight spackle......over fill a tad....allow to dry .
    Sand /spot prime and paint. Painting 101. Been painting for 30 years. The NEW lightweight spackle is the way to go. You did say pine molding painted didn't you ?

17. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

FYI.....Home depot sells a Glidden product called GRIPPER....GREAT universal primer in/out. $18 per gal. Get some if you do normal in/out spot Priming. ANY lightweight spackle (preferably in/out). is great to keep on hand.Less shrinkage.

18. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Forget "mud" .....been there before........and "saw and dust Glue" This is a SIMPLE INTERIOR REPAIR on painted wood. Mud (Durabond 90/45/20/even 10) is OK for drywall/plaster patches. It will eventualy "move". If the hole is less then 1" x 2" lightweight spackle is the product ot use. Natural wood, maybe saw dust and glue. Dyywall/plaster.....mud (lightweight Durabond 90/45/20/10......even 5).Standarad procedure on any painted blemish.......less than 1"x2".....is spackle.Many brands out there.......S.Willians/Dap/etc. I also do FINE woodworking....... natural/stained finishes......totaly differnt circumstances.If in doubt...ASK SHERWIN WILLIAMS ! If I were at your site......10 minutes to repair.P.S......painter's puty (same as glazing) is oil based ..Ok for oil /alkyd paints ..but not needed for latex....and NOT sandable.

19. rebelace

rebelace TS Member

been painting for 34 years i would use durabond 20 minute use hair dryer fill dry then fill dry sand spot prime and paint will not fall out can get at lumber yard or home center its harder then regular mud i also use it on metal doors with dents works and out last bondo

20. turmite

turmite Member

Chango if you want it quick, and easy, use bondo. I had a job come my way about three years ago because some trim carpenters didn't know to seal the ends of primed mdf molding and the joints swelled big time before they could get them painted. I had to file, sand, fill, feather and prime every joint in that house. Bad for them, but good for me. I did it with bondo and the painter that came in behind me to do the final painting could not believe the difference. I promise you it will work, and it is quick.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.