1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HELP 870 FOREND

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by addicted, Mar 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. addicted

addicted TS Member

i removed forend from 870 trap,any secrets to getting it back together,i purchased a custom stk.i can't open or close bolt unless i keep pressure
    on rear of forend been trying about 1hr.forend slides up when i close bolt

2. addicted

addicted TS Member

thanks but not what i need,need to get forend back on

3. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Are you installing action bars w/ forend or just replacing wood on tube? Hairy's direction above are correct if you have the wood on the tube & are installing the action bars along with forend. Read them thru again.

Big Jack

4. 870

870 Well-Known Member

The link above looked good to me. Are you saying that the forearm wood slips up & hits the front of the receiver when you try to close the action?

5. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

I figured he was talking about tightening down the slotted nut that holds the wood on the tube or maybe it needs washered up some how to take the slack out.

I remember years ago i was having trouble open and closing my 870 and the action bar's was cracked where they attached tio the tube and had to put pressure on the rear of the forearm similar to what he is saying after I bought anther tube ass. then it worked perfect.

So you might check for any cracks in the metal

Foghorn

6. addicted

addicted TS Member

just replacing wood on tube,

7. 870

870 Well-Known Member

I'm not following you. If you are trying to get the wood back on the tube, I don't see where the bolt comes into play yet.

As I'm sure you know, the wood slips over the tube and then you tighten the nut. There should be hardly any play in the wood. When you mention the bolt it just seems like you are talking about trying to get the action bars (with the bolt and carrier resting on them) back into the receiver. Are you at that point or still just trying to get the wood on the forearm tube?

If you are saying you have the assembly back into the receiver but the forearm wood is loose, it sounds like something is wrong with the wood. Again, there should be very little play in the wood.

I have had the action bars both break right where they attach to the forearm tube, and then the bolt stays put as you move the forearm.

8. 870

870 Well-Known Member

687EEL:

Good point, I would never have considered that the assembly was still in the gun. If so, the wood is probably just not on the tube all the way.

9. addicted

addicted TS Member

never removed action bars or bolt.borrowed forend wrench from a friend

10. 870

870 Well-Known Member

I would have removed the assembly from the gun first, never tried it the other way.

You really haven't clearly described what is happening. What do you mean by "forend slides up when I close bolt"? Are you saying the forearm wood slides forward independently while the action bars and the bolt remain in place while trying to close the bolt?

I'd make sure the wood is on the tube all the way and tight.

11. addicted

addicted TS Member

wrong forend must be 4 1100,seller said 870 custom,took it to two gunsmiths
    both agree,butt stk. is awe some ron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.