1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Help 303 20 ga 3inch does not eject 23/4 loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BAD 303, Jun 30, 2013.

1. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Gail you are correct the ports will need opened up. You need to get with someone like Angle Port or maybe Briley that will know what size reamer it requires to make it right and not ruin a barrel. I have also been told that opening up one port is sometimes all that is required. Great gun you have though.

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

It's not really a "problem", you're feeding it shells it was never designed to shoot. It is DESIGNED for 3" shells, and you MIGHT be able to get away with 2 3/4" baby magnums.

You either need a 2 3/4" barrel, or you need the gas port(s) opened. I'd opt for a 2 3/4" barrel.

3. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

my guy will do it for $35 -shipping is $15 usps he has done dozens for me 20ga and 12ga---wally riebesell 660-744-4115 cst

4. THEKIDFAN

THEKIDFAN Member

Gail, where in Calif. are you? We live in Dixon and my son shoots in a few youth leagues I'm looking for a 20ga. 303 to get my daughter started. How are those "smaller" kids liking it so far?
    Jeff

5. LDAddi

LDAddi TS Member

Mine had the gas ports enlarged and works vigorously. I would suggest starting with one port enlarged and then the other if needed. Ask Briley to do it right.

Larry

6. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

You may be able to reach your goal by changing springs while maintaining the guns 3" capability. I suggest you contact Cole Gun Smithing at colegun.com for a remedy.

Surfer

7. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Surfer what springs would that be in a 303?

8. dead on 4

Thank you Cheetah,
    it's better to cut or use a lighter spring than open up the gas ports and ruin a good 3" gun. I think Cole's has lighter springs.

Bad 303 look at a 303 diagram and you will see what closes the bolt.

Surfer

9. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Surfer I also know what ruins receivers when the bolt beats it to death. I also know what breaks off the rear bolt lug when it slams into the receiver as well. A shortened recoil tube spring may help with cycling but when the gun switches hands or is taken to the field the result is far more harm than opening the ports on the barrel. Like I said in my first post here open one port and it most times eliminates the problem. And does not take the chance of ruining a receiver or bolt in the process.

10. dead on 4

How ever you want to spin it and it works for you.....

I've only had two 3" 303's out of the eleven I've owned. One of the two I cut the spring at the recomendation of the Berrata Rep to shoot light shells. Yes heavy loads will best up the receiver and bolt with a light spring, this is why Beretta provided differnt springs rates for piston bleed off on their 390 and a bolt dampner in their 391; but the object is to shoot light loads through a system designed to shoot heavy loads not to shoot heavy loads.

Once you open the ports all bets are off if you shoot heavy loads as higher volume of gas bleed off caused by lager ports will slam the bolt. The easy solution is to cut or use a lighter spring for light loads and replace it with the heavier spring when you want return it it's original 3" condidtion as Cheetah suggested. I still stand by checking with Cole Gunsmithing.

My Corn Flakes are ready for your response....................

Surfer

11. EuroJoe

EuroJoe Well-Known Member

That was a common problem with 303s. My 12 ga sporter didn't like lite loads either. Beretta opened up the gas ports at the Grand long ago, explaining that light loads didn't exist in Italy when the gun was developed. They fixed it, No Charge!

12. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Surfer there is no need to argue the facts. Receivers and bolts for a 20 gauge 303 are not in abundance these days. Do what you wish with your 303's but am I trying to explain why the single gas port is the best all around approach. It will not harm the gun in any fashion when shooting heavy or light 20 gauge loads this way. Beretta themselves would do this in order to cure the issue. Cutting off the recoil tube spring is fine so long as you never sell the gun or loan it to someone to hunt with using heavy loads. Great guns that you hate to see torn up over a 5.00 spring.

13. dead on 4

Peace..........

Surfer