1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

help 1911 45 fails to feed semi wadcutters

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Joey S., Jan 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joey  S.

Joey S. TS Member

I was all ready to start a winter pistol league with a colt python I had just recently purchased. I just foumd out that the league is 45acp only. Luckily I had purchased an old Colt 45 gold cup model 70 (probably made in the late 70's)from the same person. When I took the gun to the range, it had a problem chambering the semi wadcutters I was using. After I finally got the first bullit chambered, it fired the entire clip with out a problem. The second clip had the same problem of chambering the first round. When I finally chambered it, I got through aprox half of the climp when it refused to chamber a round. The gun is 30 years old and I do not know the last time it was cleaned.
    The first thing I will do of course is strip it down and clean it. Other than that what else should I look at for feed problems? Could it be a weak recoil spring? Ramp or throat problems at the barrel?
    thanks,
    Joe S.

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

You might try another clip. Or loading it with fewer rounds. Or bending the one are using just a bit to make the round "peek out" at the front _just a little bit_ more.

I have the trouble most with 185 grain swc; maybe you should try 200 grain bullets. That's what I finally did.

Neil

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

bending the clip lips(out) is probably the answer-- does this one say gold cup on it?

Polishing the feed ramp would be next

taking metal off the feed ramp would be after that

regards from Iowa

Gene

4. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Clean and lube again, try some other ammo.

Try a custom mag from Tripp or Wilson.

The guys on the league will razz you if you refer to the mags as "clips".

A new mag. from Tripp got my Kimber running smooth.

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Neil and Gene have good ideas. How old is the magazine spring? First place I'd look. Were they reloads or factory? Wayne

6. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

Are you using the slide stop to chamber the first round? I would use a Wilson magazine and a SWC of the Hensley & Gibbs #68 design, which is 200 grains.

That combination should feed in a series 70 Colt.

If they are reloads, make sure you use a taper crimp on the case mouth not to exceed .471.

7. capvan

capvan Active Member

Polish that ramp until it shines...

8. WGB

WGB Member

Sell the Gold Cup (to me) and get a real wadcutter pistol and some Wilson "MAGAZINES", they don't use clips. You know you want one.

Problem solved.

9. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

Make sure your magazine is designed for SWC vs. ball. There is a difference. Maybe buy a good magazine for SWC bullets. Of replace the mag. spting, possibly mainspring (just out of normal caution), all after it was cleaned and well lubed. Oil on your glasses after shooting is not all bad...
    Keep us posted.
    dju

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

In reading the description of the malfunction, it sounds as if the gun wouldn't chamber a round at all after a bit of shooting. You also told us that the gun did run through a magazine without a stoppage before that.

So I am guessing you have a damaged or broken extractor. This is the little hook like deal on the side of the breech face, if you can move it in and out with a screw driver tip when you have the slide locked open it is broken. If it is bent down to where the rim of a shell won't clear it then it is damaged. This is a fairly low buck fix and something you would normally do for a 'tune up'.

Beyond that you could try other magazines, since you are shooting in a .45 event I'm sure there are lots of guys that would loan you one. Oh yea, get that word clip out of your vocabulary unless you are shooting the M1 Garand, if speaks volumes about you that are just as well not spoken.

Good luck.

11. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Please DO NOT modify or polish the feed ramp. Many 1911s have been ruined by this seemingly innocuous modification. As for bending the lips on magazines you'll just make an unreliable situation more iffy.

First of all try a different (I like Wilson's) magazine. That will cure many feeding problems.

Secondly you said nothing about the ammo. There are semi wad-cutters and the there are semi wad-cutters that work. What is the AOL (over all length) of the ammo? Is the bullet profile the famous and reliable H&G 68 clone?

I have the same gun that you are describing and have shot thousands of rounds of semi wad-cutter ammo through it. It will feed proper semi wad cutter ammo with complete reliability as long as the magazine is decent and the ammo within spec.

12. blow-by

blow-by Member

Joe! i agree totally with jerry944 as i had the same problem and it turned out to be the OAL

Bob

13. MR.ohiogal

MR.ohiogal TS Member

I would tend to lean towards how the ammo is loaded,, a hotter load in the 1911 usually calls for a heavier recoil spring { hardball etc. }. The lighter target loads many times require a lighter recoil spring. When I used to shoot .45 acp's alot, I changed out springs depending on what loads I would be using and as stated above, try several magazines and maintain a clean well lubed piece. They are a great deal of fun to shoot and enjoy.

Jeff

14. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

You just mentioned "the ammo I was using" but you never mentioned if it was reloads you were using. I would suspect ammunition before anything else.

15. Joey  S.

Joey S. TS Member

Thanks guys,

I stripped and cleaned the gun. I then polished the ramp with fine steel wool.
    I added a very tiny bit of rem oil to the rail groves and also the ramp.
    This time when I went to chamber a round the slide closed with more authority and the round chambered properly. I went to a public range - but there was an hour wait, so I have to try again some time this week.
    Does anybody know what it takes to open a pulic range in NJ LOL?

A little more about the gun:
    Gold cup MKIV National Match series 70.
    Magazines are marked Randall 45 auto.
    The ammo was purchased at the range. It was 185 grain
    jacketed SW reload.

Thanks,
    Joe S.

16. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

You want to feed semi wadcutters you gotta do a few things:

1. be sure you are using a late, match magazine...with parallels on the feed lips for about 1/2 to 2/3ds their length..they hold the cartridge straight longer.

2. Be sure the slide face is polished slicker'n snot..the case face has to slide up the face of the slide as it feeds forward....you have to take out the firing pin and extractor to do this.

3. While you have the extractor out, break the edge on the bottom behind the hook so the shell doesn't hang up on the sharp edge.

4. Polish the feed ramp and break the edge around the bottom half of the circumference of the barrel.

5. Be sure you have a good "taper" crimp and that the front edge of the "cutter" part of the bullet is flush with the case mouth. If it protrudes, the barrel might need to be throated (rifling relieved slightly ahead of the chamber).

Both of my 1911s have had the above mods and will feed anything. I use 255 grain Keith Semiwadcutters and 5.5 grains of Unique for bowling pins and anything else I think might need some smash and can't remember a failure to feed. (I use a shock buff also and a heavier recoil spring).

17. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Stan.. That was well worded PERFECT wisdom.. Best advice in this post..

18. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Santajo123 before you start spending large sums of money on Magazines and other such thing. Make sure the problem doesn't come from the ammo.

I had a 1911 built from a very highly recommended local gunsmith to shoot bullseye matches with. Very shortly after I started using it in practice it started the not feed thing. I changed Magazines from standard colts to Wilson competition Mags same problem. Brought it back to the smith he polished the ramp and throat. He told me he couldn't find any problem.

I resumed using it in practice same problem. I mentioned it to a man I shot with at the time. He had many years of experience and he tried it with no problem. He looked at my ammo and told me to increase the crimp until there was no brass edge protruding from the lead bullet where they met. Assuming you are shooting lead bullets it solved the problem.

By the way I went back to the Colt Mags and sold the Wilsons. I still have never had a problem.

Bob Lawless

19. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The modern day taper crimp.. properly adjusted.. should rule out the ammo question..except for swolen brass.. A quick check is a box of factory ammo..

20. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

It is an exercise in futility to shoot 185gr swc in a stock Colt, including the Gold Cup. The distance from the feed ramp to the barrel, along with the angle, is critical. That is why you are being warned about removing metal..

Bob, The 45acp headspaces on the case mouth. If you crimp the mouth into the bullet the extractor holds the shell in place. That has to hurt accuracy. You want to crimp just enough to eliminate any casemouth flare. I use a taper crimp die. Your man with years of experience didn't have a clue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1911 semiwadcutter feeding

1911 that shoots semiwadcutters
how to get wadcutters to feed 1911
jamming 185 gr swc in 1911 auto
opening feed ramp 1911 45 to shoot 185 gr swc