1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HELP - 1100 Stock Lock Washer

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GBatch_25, Nov 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Need some advice from the more mechanically inclined folks here.

I bought a used Jack West stock a few months ago and am building an 1100 for our youth team. I am almost done BUT, the lock washer that came with the receiver (Black one in the photo below) is about 1/32"-1/16" too large on the outside diameter. I bought a slightly smaller (OD) washer and it fits BUT the inside diameter of the new washer (gold one in the photo below) is smaller than I need by 1/32-1/16". I don't have any heavy duty tools like a grinder, just hand tools. I called Jack West and he said he thought Remington made 2 sizes of lock nut. I have yet to call Remington.

So, my dilemma is how to easily resize the newer lock washer? I tried filing it, but that seems like it'll take forever. I don't want to give the youth team a gun without a lock washer.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

sseitz007_2008_010420.jpg

2. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

HELP - 1100 Stock LockNut

how about a bench grinder? Hold the washer in a set of locking pliers and work your way around. Take your time..Just an idea..Ray

3. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Thx Ray but I don't have a bench grinder. May need to take it to my 'smith.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

4. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

In another age you would take the gun to your local hardware store and go through the bins of various lock washers until you found what you needed.

That probably wouldn't work at a suburban Lowes. But if you have a local hardware store, especially one that stills sells guns and ammo you may be in luck. But you may want to talk to a clerk before you carry your 1100 into the store.

5. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

Try a metric lock washer or see if you can find a nylon tipped lock nut and do away with the lock washer altogether. Ace hardware in your area?

Pat

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Find someone with a dremel tool you can borrow. HMB

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I second the nylon nut or just a double nut

8. ccampbell

ccampbell Member

PM sent.CCampbell

9. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Thx for the suggestions guys. The mountain of info avsilable here is amazing.

Yes, I have an Ace hardware nearby - that's where I got the new lock washer.

Ccampbell - thx for the PM. I'll post a reply later.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

10. Shoemaker

Shoemaker Member

Get you a dowel rod very close to the diameter of the opening in the rear of the stock. Wrap the dowel rod with fine sand paper and enlarge the hole a small amount. The larger washer should work fine.

11. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Take the washer that is too big on the OD and put it on a bolt the size of the ID. Now put a nut on the bolt with the washer and tighten it. Now chuck the bolt in a drill and use a file or stone to work down to size. Or take it outside where you have some concrete to use as the abrasive. I even to this to faucet washers about 5 at a time. Ray

12. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Those lock washers are very hard you will probably need a grinder of some sort, another possibility if you can;t locate the proper size might be to enlarge the hole in the stock SLIGHTLY if there is enough material to allow this SAFELY. Ross Puls

13. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Order a new one from Remington? If it doesn't fit it would seem you have a Jack West stock out of spec.

14. Ron Gillatt

Ron Gillatt Member

You might try a local garage, most auto mechanics have tons of 'odds & ends' including nuts. If you are using a nyloc nut (nylon lock nut)then you do not use a lock washer with it - just the nut and maybe a flat washer. IMHO.

Ron in Canada

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

jack west youth stock

what size lock washer is remington f15499