1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HELP!!! 1100 shoots way to low

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hmb, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

First try a different barrel. If it is the same then you will have to raise the comb inorder to get it to shoot higher. If you want to have the same sight picture you will have to install an add on rib. One that is low in the front and high in the back. HMB

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

mole skin to raise the comb, or I find a self adhessive stiff foam at fabric store, easy to cut and different thickness.

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

gmag, you can try shimming where the stock meets the receiver on the underside with a cardboard shim. But with the amount that you need the POI raised from what you posted, I doubt this will be enough. I would say if you insist on using this barrel that you will need to bend it. The add on rib will work but since you state above that you don't want to get another barrel then I take it you don't want to spend any additional money. The add on rib would be out also do to expense.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Get a package of Dr. Scholls Moleskin and add 1" wide strips to the top of the comb. When you get the right POI you will be go to go. An easy way to start is at the patterning board. Put up a target at 13 yards an shoot a few shots adjusting the height of the comb until you are shooting 1 or 2 inches high. HMB

5. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

"the beads stack nicely one behind the other and all I see very little rib. This is the way I like to have my guns line up.

I like to float my birds so I can have a visual at all times..."

Which do you want? You probably can't have both, at least not with that barrel. Shimming, moleskin, changing the stock, etc., could get your gun to shoot so you can float your birds, but you'll see more rib between the beads as well. One or the other. Not both.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Once you get it to shoot where you like you can order an add on rib that will give you the sight picture you like without changing the POI. You can have it both ways. HMB

7. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

First, find out where it really shoots, off a rest at 13 yards, many shots. If it shoots low, build up the stock or bend the barrel. It's just as simple as that.

The pitch has nothing to do with it, though I doubt it is parallel to the ground.

Neil

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Your gun is going to shoot flat as long as you cannot see the rib top and the beads form a figure 8 or are superimposed.<br>
    <br>
    The solution is that you need to raise the rear sight, which is your eye. Your comb simply is not tall enough for you.<br>
    <br>
    My suggestion is that you send your stock out and have an adjustable comb installed so you can raise it up. You need to have it tall enough so you can see the top of the rib, and have some separation between the beads.<br>
    <br>
    An add on rib is not going to help. The add on rib, if one is so desired, comes AFTER the comb height is set. At this point an add on rib will simply make the situation worse, because it will be as if you shaved the monte carlo comb down.<br>
    <br>
    Post a WTB ad for a stock with an adjustable comb, or find someone to install one. Some folks on this site install them.

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Shouldn't he find out where it shoots first, Brian?

Neil

10. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

As usual, Neil is right. If you do need to raise the comb, I'd suggest an adjustable stock by Jack West. He manufactures a synthetic stock for 1100's. Tron can bend your barrel if you decide to go that route.

11. deckart

deckart TS Member

In the olden days we started with the Dr. Scholes moleskin until we were high enough. You can put one piece over all and let it get dirty and sweaty like mine is, or you can take that stock to someone and have aother stock made. Moleskin is the original soft comb. deckart

12. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Sounds like you may have to add quite a bit to the comb to make it work. An add on rib can require as much as an extra 1/2" of comb adjustment (high). It would probably require longer posts on the adjustible comb. I would take it to Eyster or Briley and have them do the barrel work required to raise the POI. while seeing the bead alignment you want. There's a point where your have a lot of cash invested in the venture. Been there done that.

13. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Bend the barrel. It's cheap and it works.

jim brown

14. deckart

deckart TS Member

I used a piece of soft pine to build up my comb so it wouldn't take 50 layers of moleskin. I put down skin, wood and skin. The skin is easy to remove so add more skin or file wood. It takes time but it is fun. I also made my comb parallel to the rib so it was even more fun. but it shoots where I look.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.