1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hello! New Here

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Coogan1, Aug 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coogan1

Coogan1 TS Member

Hello guys and gals. I stumbled upon this excellent site last week and i've been lurking every day since. I must say it's a little intimidating reading posts from all you big time ATA shooters with the really nice guns. But it seems like everyone here likes to talk trap and ive seen some good healthy debate going on so i thought id get in on it.

Just a little about my and my shooting: My name is Chris Coogan, and im 21 years old. I live near Syracuse NY, within 15 minutes of the State Homegrounds. Im going into my Seinor year at a small college in Rochester NY. I was introduced to trap at 13 years old by a neighbor who got wind that my grandpa was refinishing his old shotguns while out of work recovering from surgery. We went down to the local club, shot a round, and by the next week we had a reloader. I currently shoot practice on Mondays, a league on tuesday nights, and a wedensday league as well. I have dabbled in the ATA in the past, and ive taken a little money and a trophy here or there, but have never been in a position where i had the time or and money to do it right.

Next year i will be in a position to shoot many more registered targets and im looking forward to the challenge. Last month in fact i shot my first ever round of doubles. I know my 870 and 1100 dont really match what others have, but im hoping to have fun and at least be semi-competitve. Talk to you all later.

Chris Coogan

2. Skibik

Skibik TS Member

It doesn't take any fancy gun to shoot those little round discs. I started with a Winchester 1300 speedpump, used an 11-87 Remington after that, moved to a Browning Citori sporting clays(used it for both trap and skeet) and now have a Browning XT that I have had for a few years. Funny thing is the I broke a bead off the XT and had to resort to my 870 TB as backup for the last couple weeks and the targets broke just the same with that gun as they did with the XT. If your gun or guns that you use for shooting fits you that is the main thing.

I myself don't shoot ATA anymore because of the rising cost of travel, targets, ATA fees, etc. If you compare the cost of ATA targets to league and practice at local clubs I can shoot twice as much locally. But I do have to say I miss the travel and the difference in competition shooting. Either way enjoy yourself.

3. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I agree you don't need anything fancy. Just something that fits. There's lots of time in your life to later get something a bit fancier if you want. The main thing about shooting trap is to have FUN FUN FUN! It's a clean hobby and a good sport and MOST can't get into trouble doing it. Welcome to TS. Don't let some of the negative people that are on here get you down. 99% are great folks to be around and to make friends with.

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Nothing wrong with an 1100. I have been trying to wear mine out for a few years. It just keeps coming back for more. I reload whatever I can scrounge and shoot mostly for the fun of it. I have been shooting for over 40 years and it never gets old. If it isn't fun, then you need to ask yourself why you are doing it. I'll agree that it takes a lot of time and money to do it in the fast lane, but local shoots and clubs are great also. Not everyone here is an ATA shooter and not everyone here has a $14,000+ firearm or two. We won't talk about scores either, since not everyone here breaks every target. :)

Just don't EVER ask about substituting primers, Rio or Kemen Shells, if lower pressure results in lower recoil, Mac vs PC, and why someone does not shoot ATA. All other subjects including political issues and 7 1/2s or 8s might be OK if you have thick skin. Just learn how to pick the pepper out of the fly poop and you'll be fine. Not all advice given here is good.

I'll hope to see your input in future threads! (Translates to "HEY GUYS....FRESH MEAT!!!!" :)

5. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

Welcome Chris! Enjoy the forum....lots of good folks here. Your brace of Remingtons will do you just fine.

KEEP SMOKIN' EM.... Dave

6. Coogan1

Coogan1 TS Member

thanks guys...yeah the guns work fine, just have to worry about the dreaded operator error

Chris Coogan

7. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Chris glad you decided to join the party you will get answers to anything you ask on here of course some might not be what you are looking for but you can figure out the good from the bad.

Also you can use the search feature and find a lot of old info that might be helpful.

As others said you don't have to have a high dollar gun to shoot good maybe a good gun fitter or some one at the club that is a really good shooter might could help you out but then again if you get to many giving advice then it might not do any good.

Foghorn

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Chris- As you get more involved in trap, you will become familiar with the names of very best shooters in the sport. Two names, Daro Handy and Leo Harrison will always be mentioned among these top shooters. I remember both of them shooting, and winning many championships with a Rem 1100. The score you shoot is much more important than what you shoot the score with.

Pat Ireland

9. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Welcome aboard Chris. Lots of helpful people here, and like Foghorn said use the search feature for tons of information. Don't worry about your guns, the more you shoot and have fun you'll be upgrading soon. Its the natural evolution of a trap shooter. Have fun. Wayne

10. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Hi Chris,

Welcome to a fun filled and informative site.

If you ever get down around Jacksonville Fl bring some of that special sauce made in New York City(commercial on tv) and I'll bring the chips and we eat a little and shoot some.

I look forward to one day meeting you and many others that frequent this site. Jackie B.

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Read and listen close to Pat's advice. I live in the general area of Daro Handy, shoot around him often, and occasionally with him. While I mosey around with disabling surgery to an arm, He has been on fire this year and I'm told he has returned to his good ol' 1100. I've also read articles where Leo has said he would have happily continued shooting his 1100s had they not been stolen several years ago.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

12. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Chris, do you shoot 7 1/2's or 8's?

Tron

13. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

Chris, one thing that you need to look out for is the Pink TU TU wearing troll.

14. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Hey, are those guys in the giff above fighting or dancing? My tired eyes can't tell. No wonder I can't the side of a barn with a 2x4.

15. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Chris welcome to the site. What you shoot matters little. Shoot as often and as much as you can. Remember to have fun. I have been shooting this sport more years than I care to count BUT I'm still having fun.

Shooters are good people even if they have different opinions. But there are non-shooters and wannabee shooters who try to tear down our sport at almost every turn. You soon will be able to tell the differenc.

Good Luck with school and shooting.(In that order)

Don

16. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

Chris, I suggest you avoid bigdon since he has a bad case of foot in mouth disease.

17. piranha2

piranha2 TS Member

C'mon Chris, 7 1/2 or 8s? And don't tell any of these guys what choke you use.

18. Coogan1

Coogan1 TS Member

hmmm the shot question seems like a trap, plus it came with a warning...but what the hey, i use 8's

19. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

OK....7/8oz, 1oz or 1 1/8oz? Are you an affiliate of Bill Dawn?

Tron

20. Coogan1

Coogan1 TS Member

1 1/8 oz...Bill Dawn?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.