1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Helicopter Pig Hunt

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Guy, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy

Guy Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiHmYsyVniE

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

One time, my Brother hit a wild pig with his truck. He got out of his truck and tried to chase the wounded animal down, but couldn't catch it. The next day, the DNR showed up at his front door and issued him a $500 citation for fleeing the scene of an accident and injuring an animal with a motor vehicle. My Brother thinks that the Pig squeeled on him.

3. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

That looks like fun but at first I didn't like it but as a farmer I see that it has to be done. Did any one see the dot in the middle of the screen? It was a dot for the impact of the bullet.

4. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

It looks like the .223 does a pretty good job of pig killing....I am a little surprised at that.

BTW has anyone forewarded a copy of this to PETA? :)) I would LOVE to be a fly on the wall when they watched this.

5. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Try this

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Hopefully people won't confuse this with hunting. Not exactly a PR piece.

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Feral hogs can cost a farmer plenty of money by destroying crops! Maybe he should have sold those hogs to hunters instead? That instead of paying out a lot of money for the airborne shooters and the helicopter?

Those rifles were .308 and 7.62s? A .223 is mighty small for hogs, I sure wouldn't use one for that kind of shooting!

Hap

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Wisconsin has a problem with feral hogs lately. I have heard they are largely nocturnal. I won't know how to hunt them, but I have a 340 Weatherby and a barbecue grill.

Thinkin ribs.

HM

9. Mismost

Mismost TS Member

wild hogs are in an explosion mode, they breed year round...they will eat anything, love quail,will eat fawns, and ruin a crop field in a few days. I've shot on several ranches where it is quite common to see herds of 20-30...they are a pest once your freezer is full.

I've done one helicopter shoot. It was a shoot, not a hunt....heck we knew where they were. Not for the faint of heart or folks that are prone to motion sickness. You need a really good pilot, a fast shooting accurate rifle like a AR10 with a red dot, lots of ammo, several extra pair of clean underwear, and a safety harness that you trust with your life! By the 3rd day, I was sick of shooting hogs....we put the hammer on them hard. Same ranch, 3 years later....you would think there had never been a pig shot off the place....they bounce back fast. There are simply not enough hog hunters to check the population.

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

They do this for coyotes around here, never been in a helicopter but tried 'window gunning' out of a cessna once. One of the few places where left handed shooters/LH autos are in demand. ( pilots don't like getting beaned with hot hulls) The rule was you emptied the shotgun on every pass because that was a lot cheaper than turning around for another pass. The lead was about three feet off the tail.

Pretty nasty experience all the way around.

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Tron, quote: <i>One time, my Brother hit a wild pig with his truck. He got out of his truck and tried to chase the wounded animal down, but couldn't catch it. The next day, the DNR showed up at his front door and issued him a $500 citation for fleeing the scene of an accident and injuring an animal with a motor vehicle. My Brother thinks that the Pig squeeled on him.</i>

They were upset because he hit Rosie O'Donnell.

12. Smiley

Smiley Member

Here in the land of Aus we have a huge feral pig problem.A lot of people hunt on farm land some using rifles and others using dogs and using a knive to kill the pigs once the dogs have bailed and held the pig.We dont waste the carcass bur sell them to abbatoirs that send the meat overseas mainly to europe.

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Does it amaze anyone other than myself that a nice pig, full of bacon and pork chops, in a pen can escape and can quickly turn into a wild animal. In the pen, they get excited when you haul out the feed and will run toward you. In the wild, they are difficult to find.

Pat Ireland

14. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

The only feral hog that I killed stunk so bad as did the meat, I'm not sure how anyone could get the meat in their mouth in its original condition. And I'm not sure that there is enough spice to make it good. Thrown in a ditch, they make good coyote food and landfill.
    For those who think that a 223 is light, millions have been killed with a 22 short and long rifle. Just put a round in one and it will go down.
    The feral hogs are a pest, and a problem. Treat them as such. They are not a magnificent animal in its natural habitat...merlyn

15. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I would pay more there to try and wear out my DPMS than I would pay to wear out my Perazzi at a ATA shoot.. but then again..I dont think you can wear out either one..lol..

16. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I think it was on Discovery channel. They had a show on feral pigs and how harmful they are to the area. It was a interesting show. You can also Google Felal pig hunts and it will show you in your state where they are so you can hunt them.

17. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

In Missiouri hunters are "Obligated" to shoot pigs in the wild. Also recomended that you do not dress the animal as they are just full of little nasties that can make a human sick.

Ronbo

18. below 0

below 0 TS Member

I am planning a feral Pig hunt in Starr county Texas in Feb...Does anyone know where we can hunt? I have gotten permission from a land owner but he states that there are more Peccary than feral hogs there...Any suggestions? Odie

19. mikefoy223

mikefoy223 TS Member

A friend of mine is in a hunting club in SE Alabama. The property is just off the inpact area of Ft. Rucker. The Army Aviation School. Yep, you guessed it, he teaches the Apache. Puts his students in the front (gunner's) seat and hunts pip with 30MM. Stays on the reservation, if the pigs would, he would leave them alone. Some of his students return and tell him "It's just like hunting ragheads. The twisting, turning, running, etc."

The 30MM practice loads are solid steel. Do a job on a pig.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.