1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HELARCO WADS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WYBOO WOOD, Aug 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WYBOO WOOD

WYBOO WOOD Member

Does anyone use any of the Helarco Wads that Ballistic Products advertises in their catalog? They seem to offer a reasonable selection for use in straight and tapered hulls. BP says they are European but are now manufactured in the US. Dave

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Vagner Plastics (Denmark) owns them, and they are produced in Florida. BPI is their exclusive US distributor.

I've used three sizes of lead wads, and two of their steel wads - all without any substantial issues.

I've not loaded them in tapered hulls, but they go into misc. Eurotrash hulls just fine. Like all straight-wall design wads, you will lose a bit of load in RemChester hulls.

There was some burn-through issues on the VP-13 reported on the SGW reloading board, but I think that was a lot-specific problem.

Bob

3. MtnGun

MtnGun Member

I love the vp-15 in Gold medal hulls for 1 1/8oz loads.

4. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

"There was some burn-through issues on the VP-13 reported on the SGW reloading board, but I think that was a lot-specific problem." That would be me! I sent 10 reloads back to be tested, and will get results back next week. The bottom of the powder cup, a rectangular section was blowing out. The VP15 wads shot well, and made a great 1 1/8 oz Green dot load with straight wall hulls. I am now playing with the VP05 wad and 7/8 oz with STS hulls, or Gun Club hulls. The VP05 builds up quite a bit more pressure than the tapered 7/8 wads, and should be better with the 1200 fps 7/8 oz loads. 10Tenner

5. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

We're seeing some blow through with the VP-60 wad for steel. This is in the wad manufactured in Denmark. I have a case of the new ones manufactured here, but the roof of the powder cup doesn't look any thicker. Looks like they fixed the petal separation issue.

Maybe a little tougher plastic would fix the blow through problem.

I need to call BPI to see where this is at.

6. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

VP10 wad, I do not know why it is called a 1 oz wad, the column is shorter than the VP15 wad. The data for VP10 1 oz is mostly clays, a bulky powder. What hull are you using. From my experience the VP05 is better for 1 oz in a straight wall hull. The VP13 works well in a 1 oz using clays, or clay dot in 1 oz.
    joe kuhn, please do contact BP. I have provided the email address above. The Helarco wads have potential. Two individuals have documented with Fiocchi hull, Fiocchi 209, 20 grs Clay Dot, 1 oz, having single digit variation. 10Tenner

7. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Eddie, the 3 lead wads I've used are the 05, 10 & 13. I cannot speak to the 15.

The 10 & 13 are - essentially - the same wad, but different LOA, with the 10 being shorter and a better fit with bulkier powders. (I have loaded the 10 in 2½" shells with Bullseye, PB and Longshot.)

IIRC, 1 full oz of 7½ is completely in the shotcup - or, at worst, there may be one course of BB above the petals.

I can't tell any pattern diff in the Wagner 10 & 13 and Fed12S0 OEM and clone.

Note: ZERO experience with Remington hulls: only Eurotrash and FGM, both flavors.

Bob

8. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Eddie, I think that's the best course.

Have you tried the DR TGT-12? They are supposed to be pretty good wads, and some Rem loaders like them better than the OEM.

In general, I prefer to load RemChester hulls with the tapered-lead RemChester wads and use the .715-.725 diameter wads in Straight-Wall hulls.

All that said, the VP-lead wads are 'flimsy' enough to load in a tapered hull w/o much grief.

Of course, I HAVE put 1-1/16oz in a Fed12S3 in a AA hull, but ... wads are cheap and plentiful - as are hulls.

Bob

9. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

"Competitive price and BP stands behind their stuff" Do you want a 1/2 case of VP13 I will charge what BP sells them for. They make a nice sound when fired, and they come out in two pieces when fired.

10. joe kuhn

We're loading their recipes or even less powder than recommended and we get blow through in the powder cup on the VP 60. Just sent an email to the Shanon. Will call and talk to Dave.

11. joe kuhn

Dave and I worked out a possible temp solution to keep me shooting. I'm going to try a 20 ga card wad in the top of the powder cup. It's tight enough to stick and not need glue. He's working with the mfr to fix the problem permanantly. I asked about a tougher plastic or a thicker roof on the powder cup as possible solutions. We'll see what they are able to fenagle from the mfr.

Interesting you guys are seeing blow through with lead wads. Guys were blaming me because I shoot such low powered loads. Then we found a wad from a 22 gr Longshot load - same problem - blow through in the powder cup. Seems like a Vagner issue for certain models.

Waiting for my cards wads.

We've looked high and low for another wad to use with 1 ounce of steel and they're either not available commercially, too expensive or have problems of their own. The Gualandi wad's shot petals don't separate all the time either (VP 60 Euro made wad has this problem too), and the B&P wad gets wavy in the powder cup upon loading (too tight in STS hulls). The BPI 41mm wad is 10 cents a piece, so that's out. STS wads from years ago are not available and the Win biege wad is not commercially available. I'd really like to try the Win wads, but unwilling to switch to a straight walled hull in order to use it. STS and AA hulls are hard to beat for durability.

BTW, Dave is testing 300 gr of steel shot in a very fast Titewad recipe. Says you can just touch a crosser and it smokes.

All for now.

Joe

12. joe kuhn

Card wads came so I tried them in the powder cup to prevent blow through. They're 1/8 inch and too thick. The hulls won't close. The wads are made of 3 pieces of card stock, so I split them into 3 pieces in order to try to get something that would work. 1/24 of an inch card wads load just fine in terms of crimp, but they fall out during loading. So I put a drop of glue on each - that kept them from falling out. Granted this is way too much work, but I've got to find a solution. It can be optimized later.

I have 25 ready to go with extras to retrieve at the patterning board. I'll have to drum up an audience to help count the poofers.

Later,
    Joe

13. joe kuhn

They worked fine, but it's daunting to look at that case of wads and think about this solution. Time to call again.

14. biff

biff Active Member

I used to use the BP wads, Short Range Crusher and Piston Skeet which worked great on the 16 yard line. I quit using them when they came out with the VP line and all their wads looked alike plus they were very expensive when you could see no advantage compared to the price! Biff

15. Baber

Baber TS Member

I load nothing but 7/8 oz for Bunker trap. I believe the best wad is the B&P T2. Next best is the VP05 from Helarco.

TB

16. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

<blockquote> Joe: <i>"BTW, Dave is testing 300 gr of steel shot in a very fast Titewad recipe. Says you can just touch a crosser and it smokes. "</i></blockquote>

That's interesting. 20gm of #7 steel ought to have plenty of BBs to break a bird ... and, of course, speed kills.

Do you have data?

17. joe kuhn

Yes, he has data and I'm sure he'd send you a copy. Just call the phone number on their website and ask for Dave. I don't care to re-distribute other folks' data.

Thanks.

18. joe kuhn

No response from mfr on VP60 blow through problem. I emailed mfr in Denmark. FL website is under construction. Dave at BPI has been very helpful by supplying thinner 20 ga card wads. Solves the immediate problem and keeps us shooting. Shared with 3 others at club. When Dave doesn't get a response from the mfr there isn't much to do. We won't be ordering volume until this is solved. Contemplating returning wads and asking for a refund. Not good. There is no other steel wad for tapered hulls. Don't like straight walled hulls because of short life span. BPI has been great. They shipped card wads to me twice and talked on the phone a couple of times. Wish they made a wad for this application that was cheap enough to shoot in volume. With steel shot looming, it looks like a business opportunity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
b&p z19 plastic wad
bp compact euro wad
bp compact euro wads
bp z19 wad
bpi piston skeet wad loading data
helarco vp10

helarco wads

vp10 wad loading data