1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Helarco VP 13 wad lab results.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by goosecall, Aug 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

To save time I have enclosed the link with the VP 13 wad lab results, and the photos I have taken with the powder cup base wad either blown off, or the rectangular section giving away at the the top of the powder cup. Link above as well. http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=225904&p=1915304#p1915304 10Tenner
  2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

hmmmm ...

What's the smiley for :: eyeroll :: ?

With 30gn difference in payload, they weren't exactly comparing apples to tennis rackets, but they weren't far from it.

What hulls were you using? (and can you find NS/Fio wads anywhere, now that Gamaliels is out of them?)

Drop your 1st 1205 fps as an outlier, and your ES & SD is better than theirs.

The most logical conclusion that strikes me is they had malfunction with a specific mold # in that lot.

I wonder if they could make their tone any more condescending if they tried?

Bob
  3. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

I was using fiocchi hulls, substituted ClayDot for the recipe. 30 grs more in shot is homemade shot, less antimony. Dave at BP at first told me he had missed the pictures I emailed them, must be blind. I had a eye witness a long time reloader, and said must be bad lot as well.
    "VP13 (and others) are engineered to be thin and articulate In weight therefore not creating additional load pressures." Could this be the cause? LOL! 10tenner
  4. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

umm ... is THIS: >_> the smiley for :: eyeroll :: ?

Yeah, chilled shot v. magnum shot, etc. .. They weren't trying to exactly replicate your load, nohow.

I don't think it makes much difference, but I'll have to remember that <i>"VP13 (and others) are engineered to be thin and articulate In weight therefore not creating additional load pressures."</i>

'Flimsy'? no, of course not: <i>they are ENGINEERED to be thin and articulate In weight therefore not creating additional load pressures.</i>

BPI has never been my fav company, but this pretty well seals it.

When I saw your pics on SGW-r, with that ¼" square blown out of the roof of the powder cup ... uh.oh@!

I wonder what they'd be like with a powder that REALLY builds a good, hot, long-lasting flame ... PB? 7625? 4756?

As long as PR & Grafs can keep me in Gulandi and B&P wads, I don't have to use the VP- wads, and wont.

Did you say you had a source for the Fio/NS 21 & 24mm wads?

Bob
  5. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

"Did you say you had a source for the Fio/NS 21 & 24mm wads?" No I do not have source. I have enough of the GU1222 and GU1225 wads to last a while, but we need to have Graf & Sons to import the Rex 24 wad again. 10tenner
  6. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

I think the bottleneck on Gualandi wads is FiocchiUSA, and not Grafs nor Precision. F-USA is exclusive importer for Gulandi, and everybody has to get in line when they get a container.

Have you tried the B&P T-2 in place of the REX/SPARK? I'm a fan. I also load some ¾oz and even 5/8ox with the T-2, and the GU-1227. ANY wad is easier to load than the REX ... ugh.

I've mailed DKG abt their wads. maybe they'll answer someday.

Bob
  7. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

Grafs used to buy the wads from a Canadian shot shell manufacturer. They had Leo Harrison on one of there covers, he was shooting there shells. I was told by the purchaser that they order direct, and wait till they need a large shipment to order, and cut shipping costs. I have no problems with the REX 24 running through my PW. 10tenner
  8. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

measured base wad .044. Up dated on the ShotgunWorld.com click link above first picture. 10tenner
  9. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

I cut into the rectangular section and it measured .036
  10. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Goatskin, I was interested in your solution of 10Tenner's not very good shells.

"Drop your 1st 1205 fps as an outlier, and your ES & SD is better than theirs."

How many times can I do that? If I just drop off the five fast ones and four slow ones, can I be the king of the reloading hill with a measured SD of zero?

That's why two measurements - two chronos, chrono and pressure, chrono and recoil speed - are ten times better than just one. You can tell good data from bad. To "drop" inconvenient readings is no solution at all and just keeps you from knowing something you might need to know.

Neil
  11. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Neil, I take your point (and wholeheartedly agree, BTW), but my comment was not a 'revised' <i>neuvo</i> standard of scientific accuracy, as much a subtle dig at BPI for their (IMO) sneer abt hygroscopic primer residues, knockoff powders ... (read: cheap man & poor loading habits).

Mine was an observation that 10tenner loaded pretty good bullets ... nice string with one *. While it was still almost 20% of the string/6, it WAS an outlier.

10tener sent them 10 shells; they tested 6. The built 5 of their own - but different shells, entirely, due to the load - and from new components. One would expect their ES & SD to be low.

Like many others here, I drool abt your setup. I have to be content with a cheap chrono, a tractor tire, wore-out Greener SB hammer gun, old oak tree and 50' of trigger string to do my speed and pressure-testing.

:)

Have a delightful ...

Bob
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.