1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

heizerdefense: neat little $500 derringer and it's

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by quartering, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quartering

quartering Active Member

ported! and look at the stippling on the grips

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Saw it in American Rifleman.

It's $800 in the ported titanium version, $500 in unported aluminum.

Might be neat to try.

3. FlyerTom

FlyerTom Member

Geez! .45 ACP, huh? 14 oz., huh? Half a grand for the cheap one, huh? That company won't be around long after the first guy breaks his thumb touching that one off.

A friend of mine bought a .38 Special derringer one time. Couldn't hit a one quart motor oil can from 10 feet, but Man! was that thing LOUD!

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I'll bet they sell a bunch of them. What does functionality matter anyway? Most of the buyers of this sort of thing will never shoot it and/or need to shoot it. Hopefully they don't result in too many accidental shootings...

5. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Looks like a handful, in more ways than one.

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/A98X0ruMGGM&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/A98X0ruMGGM&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KwJ9xZ5tutg&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KwJ9xZ5tutg&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I bet the recoil is fierce.

7. quartering

quartering Active Member

i bet the port flash is fierce

8. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

But, but, its tactical. And you can do tactical reloads with the tactical reloading strip when your in a tactical situation.

Not to worry, someone will come out with a scope mount for it so you can make those 1000 yd sniper kills with it.

In all seriousness, if someone were to make this into a rifle ala the springfield M6, it would probably be a hell of a fun (and relatively cheap) gun to shoot. That is if you can do away w/ the 10lb DAO trigger.

9. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

With a 10lb trigger pull on a 14oz gun it's going to be difficult to hit with even at close range. Reminds me of the High Standard 2 shot 22 mag derringer. Many people used their middle finger to pull the heavy trigger and laying their trigger finger alongside the barrel. If this is done on the ported version of this "double tap" pistol that index finger is going to be in a world of hurt. In fact anytime you put porting on a small handgun there's a chance some part of you will get in the way of the porting.

1911 ergonomics??? Wow what a stretch that is. Looks to me to be another gun designed by some skilled engineers and cnc programmers without a lick of gun sense.

My S&W 442 is still a fine lightweight pocket gun, for something smaller you could buy 2 or 3 Keltec 32's for the same money as the "double tap".

10. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

A gussyupped "belly gun".

11. cnsane

cnsane Member

Last time we shot a derringer in 38 Special it took us 15 minutes of hard seaching in the grass behind the shooter when that pos came flying over his shoulder as the result of a two fingered grip. We finally resorted to tying an unbreakable shoe lace around the barrels so that you could use your left hand for weapon retention when it came flying out of your right hand during recoil.

12. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

That thing has "OUCH" written all over it! BYG

13. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I will stick with my Kahr CW-40. Just a little bit bigger and slightly wider. Seven rounds of .40 S&W sure beats two .45 ACP.

Jim Skeel

14. 682b

682b Member

I have one of those 38 cal. 2 shot derringers. The truth is you could not hit a oil can at 10 feet but you sure could hit a man sized target across you living room or coming into your bathroom. I might have a pocket pistol but it is not very lethal. I have always felted venerable in the john if you know what I mean. Jim

15. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Very good points cnsane and exactly what I have observed.

Just hitting a man sized target will not stop a real threat. The target area that will stop a real threat isn't larger than that oil can. That is my problem with these tiny big caliber handguns, not enough there to manipulate it quickly or accurately, the two things you need desperately when a real threat is close. Lethality is not as dependent on caliber as shot placement, if you can have both, great , if not shot placement is number one.

I just received pricing info on the double tap 45 titanium ported derringer, $799 MSRP.

16. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iTMxYhSfh9o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

That thing is not too bad to shoot with the 325gr light bullets, makes perfect sense. I think the warning on the side should say "caution sharp edges may hurt during traumatic insertion".

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/P34v983P2j4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. Claydotter

Claydotter Active Member

45-70 out of a 16.5 oz. gun? Come on.

Regards, Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.