1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

height of targets when properly set

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Longhorn, Mar 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

How far in front of the trap should targets be measured? How high should they be at that point?

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

10 yards from the house they should be between 8-10' high

Eric

3. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

if you look on ATA web site all that info is there ,you measure from the enter of the trap machine.

4. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Get the bucket or bag ready Drew. You know it's coming.

I have not set them in a while, but it sounds like you were in the same meeting when we decided on how to set ours. If they can break them, they will come. Yeah, the good shooters will still rise to the top and all that crap but the guy that wants to shoot a decent score(for him) doesnt' want to be beat up.

PLEASE, don't tell me that they should practice more. I've been around this game for 37 years. To long to pay any attention to that BS.

Here come the 2 hole 3 hole, it's already easier, posts.

AJ100

5. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Yes, it is in the rule book.

Best answer is 26 yards from the front of post 3. Another way is 27.5 to 28.5 feet out from the front of the house.

It is not 10 yards from the front of the house, or 10 yards from the center of the house. It is 10 yards from Point B. Point B is that point that is 16 yards from Post 3 and 1.5 to 2.5 feet inside the front of the house.

I'd stick with 26 yards from post 3 to keep it simple.

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Drew, just as Pat and I emphasized on another thread, all this "bird in battery" stuff which everyone knows is simply not true. The ATA rules do not measure _anything_ from the trap, the birds, the batteries, anything like that. The height pole should be 26 yards from the 16 yard line. The 50-yard stake is (edited correction: 66. . .) . . . yards from the 16-yardline

None of which will change this situation. If I go to the club tomorrow and ask anyone about traphouses, stakes, poles - anything, I will be told the story with relation to "the bird in battery." Maybe we should just change the rules!

Neil

7. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Edit,,'all good' as Mike would say.

8. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

While were on this topic. What's the singles speed? 42MPH? Dave T.

9. Neil Winston

That's correct, DT. For singles and handicap 42 MPH plus or minus .5 MPH; for doubles 39 MPH (right bird) with the same tolerance.

Neil

10. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

1.5-2.5 feeet inside the trap house sounds about center of the trap thrower to me !

11. 870

870 Well-Known Member

sammy

I would agree that is what we should be trying for in getting the machines in as close to the front as we can. It's just that the rule actually does not refer to the machine at all anymore. Point B used to be written to be the intersection of the centerline of the house (fron to back)and the baseline (which was the side to side midpoint of the machine).

I would guess that due to inconsistencies in machine placement it was changed to the 1.5 to 2.5 feet wording. I don't think the intention was to have us tear out all the old setups.

12. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

http://www.fieldandclays.com/about.htm

13. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

You guys are just kidding yourself. There is NOTHING wrong with trap today or any other day as a matter of fact all is just right with trap... It is a great game a huge challenge and just lots of fun. Get off the computer get on POST and bust some clay targets...

14. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

The PITA defines the "LEGAL FLIGHT AREA" on page 47, paragraph (a) of the rule book as follows....

"10 yards in front of the trap, on an imaginary line through firing point #3 and the trap, level with the grade of firing point #3."

It does not mention anywhere 26 yards from the 16 yard line, post 3.....Dan Thome (Trap2)

15. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Dan a lot of the PITA rules make more sense to me than ATA rules. Am I correct that in PITA there is no automatic half yard for a score of 96 like there is in ATA ??

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

Dan- The 26 yard measurement is for accuracy and consistency. The term 10 yards in front of the trap can mean several things. It could be 10 yards from the most forward part of the trap (the extended arm), 10 yards from the front base of the trap, or if we want to be literal, it could mean 10 yards in front of any part of the trap. We could even get rather crazy and claim that the electrical cords and hydraulic lines and pump are part of the trap. These things can be all over the trap house.

26 yards from post three leaves little confusion, unless you want to get into the question of the front or back of post three.

Pat Ireland

17. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Mike... You are correct. The PITA does not give an automatic 1/2 yard punch for a 96. You are also right about the rules differences between the ATA and the PITA. How much plainer can it be than 10 yards in front of the trap? Some people just want to argue just for the sake of arguing. In reading the ATA rules, page 48, the target is to be measured 10 yards in front of Baseline B, which is the trap, not the 16 yard line. The target distance is to be measured from the same place.

In the ATA rule book, also on page 48, it defines point B very clearly.

"Point B is defined as the intersection of a line measured 1 foot 6 inches, or 2 feet 6" from the OUTSIDE VERTICLE WALL (Farthest from the shooting stations) OF THE TRAP HOUSE AND THE CENTERLINE OF THE TRAP HOUSE.

Neil states:

"The ATA rules do not measure _anything_ from the trap, the birds, the batteries, anything like that. The height pole should be 26 yards from the 16 yard line. The 50-yard stake is (edited correction: 66. . .) . . . yards from the 16-yardline"

I am totally confused, which is it? The rule book, or Neil's explanation? I see no reference anywhere in the rule book to 26 yards from the 16 for height, or 66 yards from the 16 for distance.

Dan Thome (Trap2)

18. Neil Winston

Dan, while you have quoted the ATA rulebook correctly, I don't see anything in there about the trap. I'll keep saying it: POINT B IS NOT THE TRAP!

Point B is 16 yards from post 3, the pole 10 yards farther from point B. Adding . . .

The same logic applies to the 50-yard stake.

Neil

19. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Neil, while point B is "supposed" to be 16 yards from post 3, the rules book states very clearly that the targets are to be measured from point B, NOT from the 16 yard line on post 3. Point B is defined as the intersection of a line measured 1 foot 6 inches, or 2 feet 6" from the OUTSIDE VERTICLE WALL (Farthest from the shooting stations) OF THE TRAP HOUSE AND THE CENTERLINE OF THE TRAP HOUSE. To me, this very clearly states that the height and the distance must be measured from the trap house, not the 16 yard line.......Dan

20. Neil Winston

Dan, point B is not "supposed to be" 16 yards from the post 3, it _is_ 16 yards from post 3.

It very clearly states that:

Point B is 16 yards from post 3.

The height pole is 10 yards in front of that.

It does not, I will repeat, does not say that anything should be measured from the traphouse, or from the trap. Here's what you do. Go to Diagram II. That's where all the measurements are. The point B in the third paragraph of rule E is what _locates the traphouse_. It's the only thing that locates the traphouse, its outside front wall to be exact. The flight of the target is defined in a diagram. It's diagram II.

Twenty-six yards is the sum of the 16 yards from post three plus 10 yards more.

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.