1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

height of shot travel

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by barnbarron, Dec 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barnbarron

barnbarron TS Member

Hi all.
    I have a question about shot travel in regards to installing a shot curtain at a shooting range. Using 7.5 , 8, and 9s, what would be the average height shot would travel before starting their fall into the drop zone? This question is mainly in regard to trap, and wobble trap shooting, and also skeet. Also , at what distance would this height be attained in the above mentioned shot sizes?

I have found a few sites that show distance traveled but not height. Any help or insight regarding this subject is welcome.

Thank You,
    Barnbarron

2. break25

break25 TS Member

Barnbaron.

Some Clubs have the shot curtins hanging from 55 foot poles. Ten foot in the ground. Shot hitting approx, at 35 feet nigh from the trap house
    Do a search on SHOT CURTAINS and see if you get more hits. I will also be monitoring this thread.

Chazz

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

where are all the math gurus?

4. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

Or maybe artillery officers. There are variables based on weight, temperature, wind velocity, elevation/air density, etc. Sectional density probably not-so-much. We may be using a micrometer to measure something we are going to cut with an axe. IMHO Ron

5. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

True, but then again as you raise the gun above something less than 45 degrees the horizontal distance starts to decrease, all else remaining constant. Ron

6. barnbarron

barnbarron TS Member

Thanks,

Your replies are apreciated. I have done searches on this without finding the info I needed. The norm that I have seen is to set the 50 foot poles at 80 yards out with 35 foot curtains,however, I would like to find the height of the shot arc. Of course there will always be exceptions to how high it will travel, but a good average would be most helpful. A curtain would also make shot harvest more precise as well as limiting distance traveled.

Anyways, thanks for the help.

Barnbarron

7. barnbarron

barnbarron TS Member

up one more time

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.