1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hegins Trap Club...info please

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Border Bandit, Jul 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I see the guys at Hegins Trap Club, just north of Harrisburg, PA holds ATA shoots once a month. Looks like a nice adventure, not so far away, and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me anything about shooting/getting there.

best....mike

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

It's a nice place staffed by nice guys, Mike. The easiest way to get there is via the Hegins exit off I-81 North and follow the signs into town. At about the center of town, you turn right down a hill (I think there is a meat market on the right) and the club is at the base of the hill on the left.

It's a little quicker to get off the exit before Hegins and bear right in about a quarter-mile or so as you start climbing the mountain. You eventually will pass the park where the live bird shoots used to be held and come to a stop sign in town. If you go straight across the intersection, you'll be headed down the hill to the club. Unfortunately, I forget what that exit is called!

Their traps face south but there is a wall of mature trees that blocks the sun very well. They are unique in that they hold their handicap event first because it is the most popular of the three. They have a jackpot option on the handicap event that can be very lucrative.

They have four Pat Traps with voice releases and I think they start shooting at 10:00.

Ed

3. Frank E.

Frank E. Member

Mike,
    We are having an ATA shoot this Sunday. It's the Club Championship. Shells will be given as prizes. Starting time 11AM. Cutoff for singles is 12:30. If you need additional info e-mail me at above address. Thank You for your interest. Frank

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"It's a little quicker to get off the exit before Hegins and bear right in about a quarter-mile or so...Unfortunately, I forget what that exit is called!"</I></blockquote>It's "Tremont-Tower City US 209" according to Pennsylvania Interstate 81 Exit Guide

Keller

5. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Sorry I can't make this one, as I'm signed up to score/help out at North Carroll for the York Co League shoot all day Sunday. Randy P alerted me to the Hegins shoots and I had never heard of their club, except for seeing it in T&F; but had no idea where it was/is, excepting when Ed mentioned the flying rat shoots, then the name rang a bell. Sounds like a great adventure for me & Barb, one of these weekends, and we'll go up and shoot, prolly after the Westy Hogans. I bet the place and drive up there is spectacular in the fall.

Thanks guys....best...mike

6. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

The mention of live pigeon shoots at Hegins brings back some old memories of being very young and watching my grand-father shoot pigeons there and other places in the area.

I remember he especially liked shooting, what I think were called "brush & handle" pigeons that were trained to fly very erractically and some of them made it thru more than a few times in the traps.

Does anyone know if that's the correct terminology and how the birds were trained?

7. ScottEslick

ScottEslick Member

Mike,

Let me know and I might follow you up

Scott

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

DB BILL. I believe it was called "trap and handled"!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.