1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hefty purse could raise interest in Grand American

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Joe Potosky, Mar 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Hefty purse could raise interest in Grand American

By Jim Morris - Dayton Daily News

VANDALIA — Frank Rively is facing a difficult task. As the new executive director of the Amateur Trapshooting Association, he must do everything he can to rebuild the sport and ATA participation.

“We are a very small sport — one that most people have never heard about — so it is difficult to create much interest by the general public,” he said. “But if you look at the World Poker Tour, how many years did they play in backrooms before they generated enough money to make it interesting to a large number of people? When they came up with the money, the popularity increased and the media — mainly television — took notice.”

So, in addition to talking up the ATA and trapshooting all around the country, Rively is already showing shooters the money.

When shooters go to the Grand American in August at the World Shooting Complex in Sparta, Ill., they will have a tremendous new incentive in the form of a winner-take-all $100,000 prize for one event. A single donor came up with the idea and the money. Winners of the 2010 Grand’s nine handicap events will shoot off for the big prize.

“We hope to increase the money we pay out at the Grand even more over the next several years,” Rively said.

Attendance at the Grand American has been falling since it left Vandalia for Sparta after the 2005 Grand. Part of that decline lies with Ohio shooters. The emergence of the Cardinal Center and its shooting schedule have kept Ohio shooters at home. Most seem content to shoot at the fine, new grounds in Marengo for that facility’s shoots and the Ohio State Tournament.

Making the drive to southwest Illinois has taken some of the luster off of the Grand for Ohio shooters who were spoiled by having it in Vandalia for 81 years.

“I think some Ohio shooters blame the ATA for leaving Vandalia,” said Rively, 53, who comes from Pennsylvania but has been a traveling optometrist at shoots all over the country for the past 10 years. “But the ATA didn’t want to relocate. It was the airport that wanted us out and wouldn’t renew the ATA’s lease.”

So Rively is trying to spread goodwill, hoping to get shooters from Ohio and Eastern states interested in going to the Grand again.

Perhaps that shot at $100,000 will help.

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

More money, better facilities, better infrastructure, more vendors and more shooters will be at the Cardinal Classic.

Rively's trying to to raise Lazarus from the dead.

Curt

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

ATA was anxious for land and they made assurances to the State of Illinois that they no way of upholding to get it. Now they've come back to bite them.

MK

4. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Unknown 1, Would you care to be specific as to what you are talking about??

5. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Unknown 1, Would you care to be specific as to what you are talking about??

6. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Talking about Ohio shooters may not be the best way to blame falling attendance at the Grand. I think there may be other factors involved which he should have mentioned if he is going to comment on it at all. I don't live in Ohio and have never been to the Cardinal Center, so the reasons I do not attend the Grand anymore have nothing to do with Ohio.

Mark Rounds

7. kolarshooter

kolarshooter Member

No matter how much $$$ The ata pay's me. I will NOT go to sparta again !!!
    Cardinal Center has my vote.
    Just a better place to shoot!!!

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Paying more money to a few shooters is bound for failure- it will only get you a few more good shooters.

You have to attact the average shooter-- thats where the numbers of attendees come from- vendors follow

A few shooters winning big money is just throwing more money after bad-

You have to nearly have a "recruiting effort" at local gun clubs-

You have to build that foundation- once you get enough people to try it- more and more will come back- it multiplies then.

regards from Iowa

Gene

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

If Rively actually said that he's an idiot. This Ohio shooter is tired of the "lack of Ohio Shooters" getting blamed for the low attendance at the Grand.

The average avid shooter makes a decision to go to the Grand based on cost and time. I'm sure the economy plays a part too.

I'm sure the ATA officials felt other Central and Western states would take the place of Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, and other Eastern shooters. Evidently that isn't happening. Maybe Sparta was the best choice at that time, but that is no excuse for blaming Ohio or Eastern attendance.

I'm planning to go to the Grand this year if I can get a camping spot.

10. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Actually what has happened is a business man saw the opportunity to fill a void among shooters and he took advantage of it. The same type of thing happens everyday in the business world. A failing organization can't blame a successful one for its failure.

Mark Rounds

11. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Purse $ is not the solution to increasing shooters at the Grand:

1.Where the Grand is located is a major issue!It's in the middle of nowhere( closest airport is St Louis!)

2. Makes sense if you are a RVer

3.The unemployment rate is 17% and it costs $000's to shoot the Grand

4.Us older guys are dying off w/fewer younger shooters coming up who can afford to shoot.

I'm impresssed with how well the Grand is doing considering the above. I do feel that it's more of a regional shoot for the midwest,and feel that Regional shoots will become more important in the future because of the travel costs involved.

Just one guy's opinion.

12. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Blackfoot, I agree with everything you say except the access. My first trip last year through the St. Louis airport was fine. Once you get out of St. Louis and across the big muddy, it's great country. I don't think it was much over an hour. Great trip. Better than the couple to Vandalia to fly in and find out your "guaranteed" car is not there and they're out and don't care and staying in downtown Dayton.

Setterman, hope to see you there. I still owe you a cold one. LOL, Bob

13. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Curt, I laughed out loud at your comment about better facilities. You have got to be kidding, or have never been to Sparta. You can say what you want about distance to motels, etc. and I am not degrading Mr. Fishburn's efforts at his facility, but Sparta is still the finest trapshooting facility in the world. And at this time, if you want to shoot the Grand American, the world championship of trapshooting, you are going to Sparta. Kudos to the Martins for giving the average shooter the chance to go up against the best and possibly come home with $100,000.00. What other sport can you do that in? Harv Shell.

14. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Talk about I laughed out loud at your comment . Do you really think anyone but one of the Pros has a chance of winning the big money . If you do your smoking some good stuff . One very good day will not do it you will need that and much-much more .

Yes it,s the ohio shooters ??

15. Harv Shell

Jim, at least there is the opportunity. Just for fun, I'll bet you $50.00 the $100,000.00 winner is not one of the top 10 handicap shooters, men or women from the 2009 high handicap average list in the book. By the way, I didn't mention Ohio shooters. Harv.

16. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Darn Ohio shooters, it's their fault!

17. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Does anybody have a figure for the number of motel rooms available in the Sparta area?

In 2006 we drove 38 miles to the grounds.

FRedmon

18. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Shotshell

Oh to the contrary, it is bigger and more sterile and a lot more impersonal but not a bit better or newer or better equipment. Yes if you want to shoot the Grand it will be Sparta.

And quite frankly if you really want to increase the number of total over all shooters make that purse for shooters with a 90 and under average. You will get a hell of a lot more shooters. Not just the so called big dogs(very few).

The big dogs will always clean up they are the best for good reason.

Of course sandbagging would be a real problem if not handled properly. Maybe a five year adverage.

Rock

Jim

19. Harv Shell

Rock, I don't know. Pretty tough to beat a 3 1/2 mile 120 trap line with no cross call problems and concrete roads and parking lots behind all of the banks. Drive right to your bank, park and shoot. Definetly not the atmosphere Vandalia had yet, but hasn't that horse been beat enough? Sorry, but giving the money to shooters with sub 90 averages sounds like another damn Obama plan. Why shouldn't the best be rewarded for the achievement? That young kid from Indiana showed twice now at big shoots the handicap champ isn't always a so called pro. If the whinners spent as much time practicing they might be contenders.

20. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

A restaurant with a lot of parking ain't always the best place to eat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

content