1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HEEEEEEELP....WHERE DOES THE FOCUS GO?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by oskerspap12, Jan 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Howdy Y'all,

I was wondering if any of y'all experience this...............

I'll come to my first trap,and shoot a 22-23(give,or take 1)....Ok,thats alright......then i'll commence to shooting my second trap,and the wheels will just fall off(16-18 range,or somewhere there abouts).Back to the 3rd,and 4th trap,and will usually be in the low 20s..............What gives?

Is this a lack(or letdown)of focus,concentration,or what? Any help would be greatly appreciated.I don't expect any miracles,but maybe someone will say something that will just make my brain engage,or something to that affect. Thanks again............

Smoke 'em all

D.P.Reynolds

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Could be anything. That said, if everything looks good when you pull the trigger and you miss the target the problem could be crossfiring. In another words your non shooting eye is taking over and causing the misses. Another clue to crossfiring is if you are a righthanded shooter the targets that are missed are to the left of your position. HMB

3. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

You focus on the first round and shoot well. Then relax for the second round and do worse.

You need to keep your concentration. A rock solid routing will really help this. Also pay attention on focusing during the second round and make it a point to focus and do everything right.

4. PHILFIRST

PHILFIRST TS Member

Quit thinkin about weather or not Ronnie or myself have opened the bar until your done shootin! Not at the second house! LOL
    regards, Phil

5. Timd3200

Timd3200 Member

I have the same problem. Gun fit is good. I just loose my focus and my mind starts to wander. I wish there was a easy fix.

6. The Literalist

The Literalist Well-Known Member

Another common reason for trailing off is bad physical condition (being out of shooting shape). Just a wee bit more fatigue can cause a lot of missing.

7. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Practice, practice,practice,& practice! Did I say practice?

8. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Just remember the old adage. You don't need to break every target just the NEXT one, if you think about that a little (NOW---not while you're on the line) then do it guess what, 100 st. Seriously everybody lets 1 fool them once in a while, just break the next one. Be ready when you call--see the target before you move your gun. ENJOY --Ross

9. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

You are thinking on the second trap. You miss a bird and its, what the....., why the..., where the..., who the..? That requires thinking. If you are thinking, you are not concentrating. Jon

10. schockstrap

schockstrap Active Member

I'd say first off that you should stop talking about this in a negative way. It sounds silly, but you're training your mind to think that the normal pattern is missing more targets on the second trap. Start telling yourself something like "second verse, same as the first..." or "I've been to this rodeo before, I can do it again". I find that dumb sayings help my brain to forget about "problems" and keep focused on breaking one target at a time. I found this especially valuable in those last five targets to the 100 straight. It really helps if you rehearse what you're going to tell yourself when the situation arises -- imagine that you just started out with a 25 on the first trap and then your mind starts saying "oh crap! I'm gonna screw up the second trap!", then forcefully stop yourself and say your nutty phrase. If you do it enough, your mind will adapt and you'll react positively during the real event.

It could be a physical problem, but I would try. Mental adjustment first.

--Dan

11. oskerspap12

Thanks Y'all,

I think everybody here has a very good point,one way,or the other.....YUK YUK

Phil........I'm not going to admit to it,but I think you hit the nail on the head(just kiddin').

HMB........You are definitely on to something here........quartering lefts have been giving me fits lately.............couldn't hit a bull in the ass with a baseball bat.Hard lefts really aren't a problem,as I've been smackin' them pretty hard................

Thanks again fellers....

D.P.Reynolds

12. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

set obtainable goals,focus only when it is your turn to shoot, relax in between. when you are shooting well and starting to get excited, remember it is natural and just your body's way to help you reach your goals. get to doing things in a positive way, avoid all negative thoughts.

13. open choke

open choke TS Member

Osker, this happened to me. I would do good on traps 1-3-4 and bad on trap 2.

After looking the different trap houses it turned out that trap 2's house was a little higher than the rest so it messed with my hold points and my overall groove of how much swing and when to shoot. It wasn't a dramatic difference but on that field I was barely missing my lost targets

14. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

I think you may have to maintain your focus on the "one bird at a time" level. Forget your aggregate round results... the only thing that matters is not the last bird or last round... it is the NEXT bird.

At the level I am at, I just mentally go through a routine... such as... "keep your right elbow up (I am prone to dropping the right elbow... sigh) and... "see the bird"... when I do the "See the Bird" is when I begin my exhale and insure both eyes are open (yes.. I sometimes still revert to one eye open... sigh again)...

15. Masterplan

Masterplan TS Member

could be your not keeping your head nailed to the gun........
    could be fatigue....... are you out of shape more ..... aging .......

so much can go into an answer.......

16. glenns

glenns Member

I just got the shooting information from Terry Jordan (Wall Chart guy) and he suggests the use of a 'blocker word' in between shots. Mentally repeating the blocker word stops you from thinking about the last miss or the 50 straight or winning the event, etc.

I think Phil Kiner suggests the same thing.

Does anyone practice this? What is your 'blocker word?'

17. ScottEslick

ScottEslick Member

It's his mind letting him win.... :D

18. Timd3200

Timd3200 Member

I believe physical condition might be a lot of it. After thinking about it. Like said I have same problem. I recently got a exercise bike to get in better shape. I noticed when riding it it was very hard to get past 10 minutes because of boredom and not being in condition. After the second week I was up to 30 minutes . The wall at ten was still there but I knew I could make 30 minutes and I just pushed through it and time seemed to fly by. If I concentrated on something other than the clock it was even easier because I didn't seem to notice what time it was. I hope to be able to use this to help improve my trap shooting this year.

19. wolfk80

wolfk80 TS Member

You have to learn how to practice with focus. If you shoot for fun then have fun. Laugh and visit your buddies. If having fun means winning then practice like a machine with laser like focus. If 25 perfect practice targets is too much then shoot 15 and go home. Slowly rebuild your game making every target count. Start registered targets when your up 100 targets with focus. Most people can't do it. Its too hard. Can you?
    Rich Wolf Dallas TX

20. oskerspap12

Thanks again y'all,

When I first started this game it was the easiest thing I'd ever done.The more I shoot it the harder it has become for me.I love this sport,and really want to do alot better.I know I can,and will bring my averages up...its just a long row to hoe.

Dixie.........Ain't it a bitch when ya teach a youngin' everything ya know about a sport,then he procedes to take what you've taught him,and use it against ya? Yea,he whips my butt regularly...........one of these days.

Man,I'm proud of that kid(Osker that is)............truly priceless.

Smoke 'em all

Oskerspap........D.P.Reynolds

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.