1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Heavy vs Standard Weight O/U Barrel Difference

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by HotRodA10, Nov 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HotRodA10

HotRodA10 Member

I was wondering if anyone could tell me the ballpark weight difference between standard weight O/U barrels, and heavy O/U barrels? I realize there may different variations based on barrel length, but I'm interested in the difference for 28" & 30" barrels. Thanks.

Rod

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

10-14oz

3. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

IMHO, anything in the 1.5Kg range or less is pretty light. Anything over 1.7Kg is heavy. This is based on the Perazzi 12ga frame. My 1.6Kg 32" RS barrels handle very well. My buddies 1.5Kg 30" barrels on his Mirage handle even better for bunker. There are plenty of guys with 34" barrels that are 1.7Kg and they like them as a smooth shooting multi-purpose barrel.

It really comes down to whether you like a lively handling gun or a smoother swinging gun. Personally I like a more dynamic handling gun. I wouldn't mind if my doubles barrels were a bit lighter.

4. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

.2Kg =.44lbs about 5 ounces
    Joe

5. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

7.04 oz. It is a noticable difference, especially when it is 15" away from your trigger finger.

6. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Thanks was doing math in my head at 3am sorry for the wrong conversion

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.