1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

heavy rust on 1897 win 16 guage

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hoot619, Apr 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoot619

hoot619 Member

My brother was given a rusty 97 it was stored(hidden) under a porch by a concerned wife. Owner liked to get it out when he was in no shape to handle it.I am pretty sure drinking was involved.
    How to soak barrel and action to clean it up . action works very well.Ken U also he does want to keep it.

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Does your brother happen to like home-grown tomatoes?

-Gary

3. hoot619

hoot619 Member

Just what the hell has that got to do with removing rust? You can stick your tomatoes in your Butt!! Ken Uhlbeck

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Why so harsh? Jeez, I was just going to offer your brother a friendly gardening tip.

-Gary

5. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

If you are looking for a penetrating oil I would recommend KROIL. Is it rusted so bad that it won't function?, if so Kroil. No oil is going to replace or repair rusted metal but I believe this would be a good place to start if it were me. Colonel

6. hoot619

hoot619 Member

Colonel Clink, Action is free and and seems to work well but
    would like to remove the heavy appearing rust on barrel action surface. I think bore will clean very well. I told him for time being soak in fuel oil or kerosene for a while and lightly use finest steel wool on it. The rust surface is so pronounced it is like a rough blue but rust colored. It didn't appear to be pitted? Thanks Ken

7. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Gary may have a point.

If its rusted too bad no amount of prep work is going to yield a good job.

A friend of mine had a badly rusted 97 re-done some years back and the end results showed. Although the blue work was nice the receiver finish looked like a dirt road. If the barrel is badly pitted I would think twice about firing it.

Regards....Gerald

8. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

A steel recycler might be interested.

Ya gotta know when things are past saving.

MK

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I just completed a barn resto M97 for a rancher friend of mine. That gun looked like it was going to to be a disaster but it cleaned up amazingly well. Evidently all the bird crap on it really wasn't that corrosive. I used mineral spirits on ooo steel wool to break down most of the surface rust. If you don't rub with a lot of pressure you can take the rust off pretty well and still leave blueing (if there is any). I thought we were going to have to get the gun re-blued when I started but the clean-up was good enough to get the old shotgun looking like it was just a little old.

The gun I was working on actually had a very good bore and the action parts were just full of junk, not rust so I didn't have any concearns about the strength of the gun.

If you haven't torn down a M97 action before, do some research before you start. There are a couple of tricks that you will need to know.

10. hoot619

hoot619 Member

Wolfram, The pump action assembly trigger group and hammer appear to be in excellent shape . In fact the shotgun must have been lubed well and taken care of at one time. Booze and guns don't mix well. Ken

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Well good luck with you project Ken. I had a good time with the barn resto and the owner was thrilled to have the old gun up and running like new. BTW, these old M97s aren't junk and there is a big demand for them with the SASS group. Even if you don't play that game the 97 is just plain fun to shoot!

12. patrick Swartz

patrick Swartz Member

Hoot,

A few years ago an old friend,that has now passed,brought me a Win. M12 plant protection shotgun that someone had given him.He wanted to see if I could make it functionable, At first glance it was a lost cause. It had been hung outside,up under the overhang on a farm shed. It was actually protected from any direct weather by the overhang.Suprisingly it was not deeply pitted anywhere.It cleaned up pretty well with fuel oil and steel wool and would have been perfectly OK but for one thing. The barrel had been used by many generations of mud dobbers for a nest. Cleaning the mud dobbers out of the barrel took the most effort. About half way down the bore,it was rusted almost completely through.I cold blued the whole gun and made the action function. I wrote a note on heavy paper and put it in the action. The note said"UNSAFE TO FIRE". I took it back to my friend and told him that untill I could find another barrel,the shot gun had to be a wall hanger in his shop. He hung it in his shop with a big sign that said "DISPLAY ONLY-UNSAFE TO FIRE". The point being, Heavy rust will make many of the parts in that gun unfit for the purpose that they were designed and possibly "UNSAFE TO FIRE". Although it is a heart breaker to give up on an old gun that has been negleated,it is some times best,for safty's sake,to just decide that it will best serve as " A DISPLAY ONLY/WALL HANGER.

Respectfully,

Patrick Swatrz

13. hoot619

hoot619 Member

The barrel interior appears to be ok but I haven't even run a brass brush or as far as I know he hasn't either thru it. Gun has not been shot since he got it and probably a good thing too. It will be checked out. Maybe be by ole tomato stake!LOL Ken

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to clean win 97 rust on barrel