1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Heavier than lead?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by deadeye45, Mar 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadeye45

deadeye45 Member

Is that a material that one can work with, ie melt, heavier than lead? Need for upper barrel of unsingle barrel to balance gun. Lead atomic weight 207, Ununbium 285. Trouble is, no one has yet found away of making Ununbium.
    deadeye45

2. Hank Cross

Hank Cross Member

Try depleted Uranium ( With suitable protection, of course ).

Hank Cross

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Use depleted uranium, atomic weight 238. HMB

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Powdered tungsten carbide, but forget about melting it. Put the powder in some kind of tube or cylinder to contain it kind of like a mercury mule. Non-toxic and about $30/lb. Check with an outfit that does powder coated finishes for a source.

Also atomic number and density are not quite the same thing unless you are dealing with ideal gases.

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Mallory Metal or "heavy metal," as it is referred to by machinists, is several times more dense than lead.

Ed

6. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Ding ding ding, Wolfram has the right answer. Tungsten is nearly twice as dense as lead. The powdered tungsten available from bullet manufacturers (Corbin is one) is great for adding weight in small areas. We use it in competition sailplanes. You can mix it into epoxy and get a heavy slurry that can be applied to all sorts of strange places.

-Aaron

7. Tom @ Athens

Tom @ Athens Member

Mallory metal is a form of tungsten. Tungsten bars, flats, and round stock can usually be found on E-bay. I have purchased several times at a good price and used it to balance shotguns.
    Tom

8. crusha

crusha TS Member

Uh, folks, re-read the question before you answer. He wanted something the average guy can melt. The melting point of Tungsten is 10x higher than lead.

Your Littleton ain't gonna do that, folks...even if you turn it up to 11.

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You are correct buzz, normal pyrotechincs won't get close to melting W or WC. It's one of those things I do for a living and I gotta tell you it is the next best thing to going nuclear. 4505F and baby thats 'burnin down the house' hot. And no I can't get you some.

10. deadeye45

deadeye45 Member

Thanks guys. I'm headed toward the Powder coating guys. Seems the path of least resistance. deadye45

11. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Use cero metal, melts at very low temp. It's used to check molding dies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

heavier than lead

is mallory heaver than lead

tungsten titanium heavier than lead