1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Heather vs the Raccoons....

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Jul 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Last night my daughter Heather gleefully calls me into her room and points out the window at the koi pond. There's a mama raccoon and four little ones with her working over the plants.

Heather then points out the computer speakers set up in the window (big ones with super bass for video games). She then goes to her computer and hits the play button.

Suddenly there's a large barking dog almost busting my eardrums. The raccoons freeze, then haul ass out of there like they have JATO units strapped to their backs.

Heather is now maniacally laughing.

Chip off the ol' block.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Thats funny. I would have liked to seen their eyes when the barking started. LOL

Now you didn't take any "pop shots" as they were running did you?

3. Brian in Oregon

Unfortunately I live inside city limits, and doubly unfortunate that raccoons are fur bearers here and require a furbearer license (which I've had in years past) and they have a season. I guess they haven't reached pest status here yet.

4. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

If there are 5 of them eating your fish, they have just reached pest status.

5. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Shoot them with frozen paint balls, probably won't kill them but it would be fun and legal

6. grntitan

This is my "in town equalizer".

Not legal but fun none-the-less. :)

grntitan_2009_250384.jpg

7. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Glad we live in the country, shoot them with what ever is the handiest

8. Brian in Oregon

grntitan, I have something a lot quieter than CBs.

Alas, I won't break the game or local laws. Be a lot easier if I did. Lots of red tape for live trapping and moving them.

9. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Ingenious.

We have chickens now and it'll be fun to see how the racoons and the chickens get along. Yes, my daughter wanted chickens, so we ordered 4 in the mail. One died after the neighbor kids handled it. 'Tippie' was put to rest in the garden.

Time to spread the Grub-X and remove the FOOD SOURCE for the racoons. Wire will protect the chickens.

10. grntitan

Brian--I forgot about that toy. You suck. :)

11. porky

porky TS Member

Joe, Unless you have a really secure cage around the chickens, you will be just providing a buffet for the raccons.

12. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Agreed. The questionable part is the run going from the coop into the yard. She's been researching how to make is secure. We'll see. The whole thing is a learning experience. I'm investing in my child's practical education.

An electric fence kept the coons out of our sweet corn patch all summer when I was a kid.

Maybe I'll build a waterproof bark box with a movement sensor for the perimeter.

Begawk.

13. porky

porky TS Member

Joe, Just set up your electric fence around the chickens. I expect that you will only have to turn it on at night(use a timer). Raccoons are determined creatures and if you use the horns and barking dogs, it will scare the hell out of the chickens. Scaring the chickens can cause a lot of physical problems to the chickens.

14. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

I know a guy that lives a ways out of town who has game chickens. He doesn't raise them for fighting; he says they are varmit resistent, and he still gets fresh eggs. Kind of makes sense.

15. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I have a good friend that raises pheasants here in northern MI. He keeps a radio going in a nearby shed, tuned to new country. Keeps all the critters away. Can't say as I blame them. Bill in MI

16. Brian in Oregon

Bill, there was a rancher in Wyoming who played Adolf Hitler's speeches to keep coyotes away from the calves. He claimed it worked quite well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.