1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

heater for gun safes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ken a, Jan 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken a

ken a Member

My old heater got so hot it was scary. I threw it away and need another one. What is the best one you have found. I'm not sure what my old one was that came with Liberty safe, but would like your recommendations and where to buy. Thanks Ken

2. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

Try A light bulb

3. blkfin

blkfin Member

Ken , I have a golden rod brand works great. Have had it for years no problems. Mike K.

4. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

You could get one of those curly light bulbs if you have room they don't get too hot, you probably want one that consumes 15 or 20 watts.

tom

5. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

Golden Rod has worked for me for several years now!

Allen

6. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Ken,

You want a heating rod that is fairly hot, particularly if you have a large safe. The rod shouldn't be hot enough to burn you if you touch it, but it should be hot enough that it's rather uncomfortable to grab it and hold onto it. You may have thrown away a good heating rod.

Easystreet

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Boat owners have used a light bulb for many, many years to avoid mildew and moisture in docked crafts and it need not be particularly big or of great wattage to handle the air in a safe. ....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

8. B V

B V TS Member

Amazon.com, do a search for dehumidifier rod.

or

Do a google search for Golden Rod, Dampp-chaser, or Dri-rod.

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Golden Rod.

Very low watt density (which means its not very hot to the touch) but still hot enough to keep the safe a little warmer than ambient.

Try to put it down as low in the safe as you can. Promotes natural circulation. If you put it up high, all the warm air will stay up in the top of the safe.

Or, a very low wattage incandescent light (25 watts or so) will also work, but as I'm sure you know, the surface temperature of a light bulb is pretty hot, so don't let anything near it when its on.

10. ken a

ken a Member

Easy street, Yes I may have thrown away a good rod but it was 10 years old and seemed too warm for me to chance a fire even though it was secured and clear under the bottom shelf. With my luck, I'll feel a lot easier with a new one. Thanks for the ideas guys. Ken

11. 911 Carrera

911 Carrera TS Member

Light bulb works great. I also use one in my car when I store it for the long, nasty midwest winter!

12. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

The problem with light bulbs is their short life. Unless you open your safe and inspect the bulb every couple of days, it could burn out and you wouln't know it. It might only take a few days for your guns to start rusting under the right (i.e. WRONG) conditions.

The Golden Rod (and similar devices) last a long, long time.

Easystreet

13. ken a

ken a Member

I used a 40 watt energy saver bulb installed in a swivel type out door light socket that snapped into the clips that held the old golden rod heater. It puts out a small amount of heat but enough for an indoor application. Also put a alum roasting pan below the bulb just in case. Works great for $8!! Thanks for the suggestion. Ken

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

electric gun safe heaters

goggle gun safe heaters forums

heater for gun safes

how does gun safe heater work

how is a gun safe heater made

rod heaters gun safes

small heaters for gun safe

youtube heater for gun safe