1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Heated ear plugs?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skeet_man, Dec 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Does anyone make such a thing? When i'm outside in the winter, if its below freezing and i'm outside more than about a half hour, the inside of my ears gets downright painful, i believe due in part to ear infections as a child (as they are now as i'm writing this after coming in from shoveling snow). It takes a good half hour in a well heated environment before they become bearable again, and about an hour until the pain is completely gone. Earmuffs don't really work as its not the lobe thats getting cold but the ear canal and inner ear. I figured heated ear plugs (battery, chemical, ect) would be the best, I could use them for shooting in the winter as well as everyday use in the winter when I have to be outside for an extended period of time.

2. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

How can your head freeze over? Do you have any blood pressure?

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Have you tried a fleece headband ear warmer, or a good longer hat to cover your ears? Maybe you should put some handwarmers between the ear muffs and ear. I have seen electric ear muffs before. If this doesnt do it? best to not shoot in the cold.

4. moving1956

moving1956 TS Member

There is a similar malady among cold water surfers. Exposure to the cold causes pain and thickening of the bone around the ear canal. Eventually this constricts the ear canal enough to make it difficult to get water out of the ears which promotes ear infections. The remedy is to wear ear plugs even when the water is not too cold. The maker of Doctor Proplugs claims that preventing the cold stress to the ear canal in this fashion can actually reverse the bone thickening.

Try wearing your ear plugs even when you're not shooting. If hearing acuity is important the Hunters ears type of ear plug may help. Hats are also helpful for me as I am tonsorally challenged.

Hope that this helps.

5. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I know that I use a chemical pack to keep my fitted ear plugs warm and pliable when it is cold outside. I usually remove my ear plugs between rounds and they don't fit very well if cold. I would tend to think that this in conjunction with fleece ear warmers would help you a bit.

I don't think that this would help very much if you are using regular ear plugs.

ec90t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

heated ear plugs

hothands heated fleece headband