1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Heat Sensor Game Finders

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by FalconSprint, Dec 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

These hand held gizmos that are supposed to detect a deer/human size target at up to 200 yards, or a downed Pheasant up to 40 yards. Anyone have or use one? Do they really work? Thanks, T.

2. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

FLIR Systems, Inc. designs, manufactures, and markets thermal imaging and infrared camera systems in the United States and internationally. It operates in three divisions: Thermography, Commercial Vision Systems, and Government Systems. The Thermography division designs and manufactures hand-held thermal imaging systems that detect and measure minute temperature differences, which are used in various industrial and commercial applications, including high-end predictive and preventative maintenance, research and development, test and measurement, leak detection, scientific analysis, manufacturing process control, building inspection, and thermography applications. This division serves research and development facilities, universities, industrial companies, utility companies, building inspectors, electrical contractors, thermography consultants, damage restoration contractors, and various commercial enterprises. The Commercial Vision Systems division provides infrared detectors, camera cores, readout integrated circuits, and other sub-components to original equipment manufacturers in automotive night vision, recreational marine, firefighting, airborne law enforcement, and commercial security markets. It serves customers, including original equipment manufacturers, automotive suppliers, aircraft manufacturers and dealers, marine electronics dealers, integrators of security systems, and news gathering agencies. The Government Systems division offers hand-held and fixed mounted products for force protection, counter terrorism, search and rescue, perimeter security, navigation safety, law enforcement, narcotics detection, maritime and border patrol, and anti-piracy applications. It serves domestic and foreign government agencies, including military, paramilitary, and police forces. FLIR Systems offers its products through direct sales personnel, and a network of distributors and representatives. The company was founded in 1978 and is headquartered in Wilsonville, Oregon.

3. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

Ah, Ok, I understand how there supposed to work. I'm not asking about the 6-8K type, I'm more interested in the 150-200 dollar kind that a hunter would use. Aim Shot and Game Finder Inc. both sell in this price range. My question is has anyone used this type with any sucess?

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

They work really good at night, you don't need to turn on the spotlight.

Or so I'm told.

HM

5. gotbass

gotbass Member

How about a nice heat seeking missle too. Sounds like we are working on taking all the fair out of fair chase. Just like I had to draw the line at underwater cameras. That and the fact that they distorted the size of the fish like a seasoned liar. It is one thing to out fox em and another to out spend them. For those of you who have heard the joke, like the bear said, "It appears that you are here for more than just the hunting."

6. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

Gotbass, for Lords sake! All I asked was a simple question, has anyone used one of these things? Can you comprehend that? I can hunt left over Chuckars and Pheasants on "pay for bird" hunting land at no cost to me, without use of a dog. It's walk and kick and walk and kick and walk somemore. I'm not trying to do night shooting or anything illegal. When I knock a Chuckar down in high grass or tall sorgum, sometimes the bury in and are really hard to locate. All I wanted to know is if anyone had any luck using these handhelds, before I drop 200 bucks on something that don't work. I don't like to lose a single bird. I'd rather miss clean that waste one that's lost in the cover, even though it don't cost me anything. Can ya understand that without jumping to conclusions? Can ya? Jesus, ask a simple question, this is what ya get!!!!!!!! T.

7. gotbass

gotbass Member

Falcon - I take it that no one ever kidded you before. Read my response tongue in cheek as written. Yours in sport. Mike

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

FalconSprint, like you I was hoping someone here had experience using these things and how they worked in the field. I also hate losing a bird anytime, especially in the rough brushy canyons. Last time out I stepped into untold washed out holes I couldn't see for the tall grass looking for my quail. Lost that bird in a heavily grown up creek bed that hid the quail! I hunted for it over an hour and finally gave up on finding it. I'd love to hear what others had to say that's used them!

Hap

9. BuckGuru

BuckGuru Member

I got one for Christmas about 7-8 years ago. I intended to use it for finding wounded deer, but after playing with it by trying to locate a live human without much success, I gave up. It has been sitting in my hunting tackle box since then.

It has a series of LED's that are supposed to light up when it points to any object which has a temperature higher than the ambient temperature surrounding it. From very close range, when sweeping it back and forth past a human, the lights did flash. So, then what? The theory is that you keep making repeated readings as you walk towards the last reading and eventually you will come to the source.

The theory is fine, but in practice, I found it to be totally worthless. The lights flash for so many degrees of arc as you sweep it back and forth that pinpointing the actual direction is very difficult. Also, from anything more than a dozen yards or so, it would not even detect a human.

Perhaps they have come up with better technology since I got mine, but if they still use the same system, I would not recommend it.

10. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

I own an archery pro shop in Ca. I have both models of the Game Finder. I have had a little better luck than BuckGuru, but I suggest saving your money. The biggest problem that I found is false readings from trees as they warm faster than rocks or dirt, or an object that is in direct sunlight. They work on temp.variation.

Bill

11. james25889

james25889 Member

had one about 8 maybe 9 years ago was crap sent it back and got my moneyback .maybe they improved damn sure they couldnt have gotten worse.

12. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

falcon NO they dont unless you have a night or are close to the game in the day with NO sun. HM was right they do fairly good at night if the sun was not too hot in the day. In summer forget it. The one I have is a Aimshot heatseeker. It is back in box. I havent seen them for awhile

13. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

Gotbass, If it was tongue in cheek and I read it wrong, then I'm sorry. So here's some tongue in cheek. What I really wanted to do was, shoot flying/flushing Chuckars at night.
    And a big thanks to the rest that responded, I'll save my money. T.

14. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

One of the guys I used to hunt bears with in Canada had a heat sensor gadget. For two years we tried it out. It ALWAYS seened to lead us in the opposite direction.

Crawling on my hands and knees worked better looking for a wounded bear leaving a small blood trail.

Doug

15. elmo

elmo Member

Had one years ago. I think it was called game scan. Would not detect a dead deer standing over it. However I did get to work to find the campfire and a coleman lantern if I were real close. Got my money back for the piece of s@#t.

16. garage tech

garage tech Member

I had one to dont wast your money.

17. oletymer

oletymer Member

A good dog is much better and will be your friend for their lifetime.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

flir to find dead pheasant

game heat sensor