1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

heat releasable glue

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wireguy, May 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I'm looking at having a pair of false side plates for a shotgun made. Does anyone know of a glue that would lock them on but release upon heating, or some similar system? Thanks.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Devcon 5 minute epoxy. HMB

3. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

HMB,

What is the release temperature of that Devcon 5 minute epoxy?

I sometimes use epoxy for various things, but the kind I use releases at about 250 degrees F. and that's pretty hot for some situations. Gotta be careful about scorching or discoloring something that the piece is epoxied to.

Thanks.

Easystreet

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

wireguy- I have made several false side-plates to increase the engraving area on shotguns. The side-plates are easy to make but difficult to fit properly. If you fit the plates so that a line cannot be seen between the plates and the receiver and then epoxy the side plates, you have a good chance of splitting some wood as the gun is shot.

I put a 20 degree bevel around the edges of the side plates where they contact the wood. When I inleted the wood, I under cut the edge of the wood where the side plates fit. this allowed them to slide in from the front and be held in place with the receiver. Final fitting of the plates into the wood is easily done with some light tapping. The side-plates were not directly connected to either the receiver or the wood. The plates were tightened into place as the receiver was tightened to the stock.

Pat Ireland

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

280 degrees F. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.