1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Heat Rejection/ Shotmaking

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by buckwheat, May 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buckwheat

buckwheat TS Member

Has any one determined the heat rejection necessary to cool shot effectively? I'd be interested in knowing the BTU's/hr heat rejection required in a cooler or at least the max temp achieved in the coolant, without a cooler, when shotmaking is in progress.
    Thanks Dan

2. nipper

nipper TS Member

a 33.4 degree coors light after cutting grass on a 94 degree day seems to work just fine for me.

bill

3. nipper

nipper TS Member

do you actually think this has been measured?? I doubt it lol

bill

4. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Mash on the link. Somewhere in the thread they discuss heat transfer rates and lots of like items. Look for a guy with the sign on name Paruski.

Jim

5. buckwheat

buckwheat TS Member

Nipper, it's been measured on every thing you ever drove up to and including your lawnmower if it's liquid cooled.

Let's try this another way, From ambient (for nipper,that's the temperature of the liquid coolant before you apply any heat), how long does it take the liquid to reach it's max temperature? What is that temperature? What is the volume of the coolant? (for nipper, the volume means how much you have in the bucket)
    Thanks in Avance
    Dan

6. nipper

nipper TS Member

lolololol have a great day

bill

7. nipper

nipper TS Member

i should of made this clearer,it has been measured and still is,but not by shotmakers. if every shot maker uses a different size cooling tank,made out of different types of material,and a different thickness, which im sure is the case and also not to mention cooling liquids of all types and some dont recirculate to cool, while making shot and others recirculate to cool from start to finish,then where is your answer at?? with no standard for homemade shotmakers i dont think there is an answer for your original question is there??

bill

8. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I've been reading a lot in the past few months on making biodiesel. Once the reaction has taken place, many now are distilling the methanol back out of the biodiesel, instead of just letting it evaporate into the air.

A few of the discussions circled around keeping the water used for the condenser cooled enough. Many now used a 55gal bbl filled with water and a small submersible pump, to circulate the coolant. Some have gone so far as to add an old radiator with a fan blowing on it. This system seems to wok quite well.

Doug

9. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

Fairly simple thermodynamics: Energy out = energy in - energy lost – energy stored.

The energy of cooling is equal to the energy of heating minus the energy lost in the system or process. Use the wattage of your heater as a starting point for the thermal transfer required by the coolant.

For example (using fictitious numbers): Heater input = 4k BTU/hr – minus – 500 BTU/hr lost due to convection (etc.) leaves 3.5k BTU/hr. load on the cooling system.

10. himark

himark Well-Known Member

There is no doubt a optimum range in which shot will cool at the right rate stopping the pin holes flat spots etc. This can be controlled by knowing the correct temps but just knowing the heat rejection is only going to help you calculate the amount of cooling neccessary to keep a stable tempature and that tempature may also be relative the the exact temp of the ladel and lead flow..(which is varying constantly)it very well would be like a dog chasing its tail trying to level out these things with the limited equiptment we currently are using.

11. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Well here's what I did since I couldn't do all the fancy math. I put a thermomiter in my tank.I started to notice at what temp the shot started comming out nice and round without dimples or tail. I wrote it down. Now I just heat my coolant up to within 3 degrees and start running shot. I don't have a pump so after about 30 minutes my coolant gets to warm, I shut things down. I shoot for a couple of weeks and start the hole process over. Willie

12. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

You will need a little less than the same wattage you are putting into the lead melter witch in this case is 1250 watts converted to BTU's = 4100 BTU per hour.

tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.