1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

heartworm pills

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by tracyhunter, Oct 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

I have 3 dogs and 2 out of the 3 tested positive for heart worms. All 3 are on the same brand of pills and get them at the same time and day of the month.A friend of mine uses the same pill and his dog also tested positive.I know for a fact none of my dogs vomited the pills up.I give them the pills after they are shut up for the night and if they did vomit them up I would see the pills on the kennel floor the next day.I am going to a different brand of pill and would like some advise on what you would recommend.

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

What pills do you give them? Brand? are they prescribed by the VET?

thanks

Gene

3. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

You don't need a prescription for wormer. I usually get what ever pill treats the biggest dog (my lab is 80 lbs) for the most different types of worms.

4. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

We both get our pills from the same vet. I give them the pills the same day I get them.The pills are Interceptor.

5. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

My experience has been:

I got a full bred yellow lab that was 13 months old when I got her. The individual that I got her from was on a wheel chair and could no longer handle her. (why this person got a large dog I will never understand!!!)

The first thing I did was to take her to a Vet for a full exam. This included a stool sample to check for worms. The dog did not have heart worm. It is IMPORTANT to have the animal checked for heart worm PRIOR to starting preventive medicine.

Testing negative for heart worm the Vet started her on "Interceptor" flavor tabs (milbemycin oxime). I got the dog in February 2009, she is 19 month old now and doing fine on the Interceptor.

Frank

6. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

We use cattle Ivomec from the farm store. This is injectable but we give oraly. It is the same ingredient used in Heartguard chewables. For beagles it is .1 cc for every 10 lbs of dog.

It is toxic to some breeds check with your vet.

Intestinal worm treatments: We use Safeguard from the farm store, Same thing as Panicure presctiption from the vet.

http://www.beaglesunlimited.com/beaglehealth_canineintestinalworms.htm

Please check with your vet before using any of the tretments I have posted here.

yom

Tom

7. g7777777

It looks to me like Interceptor is much cheaper than some of the others

Here is what one website states is the difference--"Products like iverhart, tri-heart and heartgard plus also work to prevent heartworms, however, they utilize different ingredients, ivermectin to prevent heartworms and pyrantel to combat roundworms and hookworms. Interceptor and sentinel help control whipworms whereas heartgard products do not, however, heartgard plus controls more species of hookworms than interceptor. Hence the confusion, if your trying to decide which product would work best for your pet you will want to determine which parasite issue is most important to control in your specific instance. If your main concern is hookworms, heartgard plus might be the preferential choice, however, if whipworms are of concern, only interceptor claims to help control those. Both claim effective control over heartworms and roundworms."

And of course the big question is did you have a check done before you started them on the medication.

8. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

The dogs range from 3yrs old to 10 years old.Every year before hunting season they are taken to the vet and given a head to toe exam including stool sample test and blood test.I have done this for 30yrs and this is the first time I have had a heart worm problem.I don't know but 3 dogs out of 5 test positive after testing neg all their life? all are on the same pill from the same place?

9. g7777777

Were you using one of the Ivermectin products before and now interceptor

10. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

Have the tests done again by a different vet or one who uses a different lab if the tests are farmed out. There are a couple things that will cause false positives. I would not THINK of self medicating until I was sure the test results were accurate.

Lister

11. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

Gene ,I have used interceptor for the last 3-4yrs.I used heartgard(ivermectin) before that.The vet stopped handling heartgard. Carol, I sent two samples to the U. of IL for retest.One from the 3yr old and one from the 10yr old.The other 10yr old does not belong to me and his owner has already had him treated,One shot then another shot 24 hrs later.looks ok so far.I thank all of you for your help.I am about to pull what little hair I have left out.This is not a fun time.

12. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Pull Bang, I don't believe that a fecal sample will test for heartworms as they don't show up in the digestive tract,,,,my vet does a blood test for heartworms....

Doda,,,,heartworms can be treated for by giving, I think, arsenic. It is not real reliable and getting your dog back 100% hardly ever occurs. This depends, like all diseases or parsites, on early detection. The longer the heartworms are in the heart muscle, the more damage that they do. It is not a pretty sight. I have include a link for more info.

13. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

bigdogtx

Thanks for clarification. Yes, my vet DOES take a blood sample to test for heart worm. In addition, the stool sample is for other parasites.

Frank

14. Picabo 12

Picabo 12 TS Member

I use setinel ,I give it to her once a month sofar she is doing fine. If you have ever been to the Indiana State shoot her and I ran the shell house for years . She is a pretty black Lab. By the way her name is Piacbo I love this dog.

Steve

15. kmcampbe

kmcampbe TS Member

Heart worms are very treatable if done by your vet. in the dogs that I've seen treated for heart worms I've never seen one die from the treatment. Your vet will use a injectable drug called Immiticide to treat the heart worms, it will require on average three treatments and it will also require the dog to have cage rest for the treatment period.

16. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The treatment is not pretty. It usually consists of a series of Arsenic Compounds administered IV. If the infestation is severe, it may well be that some serious damage has occurred to the heart. If it is a beginning infection, the outlook is usually good. One thing I don't think I saw mwntioned here, is that you should administer the heartworm meds year round without interruption. A missed dose can be a bad thing. I worked with a Vet many years ago and took care of some of these dogs during treatment.

There is no 100% infallable preventative for heartworm. Your Vet should be your resource for preventative and treatment options. A test for heartworm should be done BEFORE beginning or resuming treatment.

17. 12 Gage

12 Gage Member

I use a product called Revolution which is a selamectin topical solution administered externally to the skin usually around the withers. The amount is dependent on the weight of the dog. Treatment is once a month for six months starting in April or May. Treatment should only be applied when dog is dry and should not go into water or have a bath for 2 hours after treatment. This can also be used on cats.
    This treatment can also be administered to dogs that have been diagnosed with heartworm without any ill effects in 3 times the normal dosage.
    This treatment is way more costly than pills.
    Revolution also gets rid of fleas. Hope this information is helpful.

Gord

18. OldMnGopher

OldMnGopher TS Member

Heartgard Plus ..once a month, all year long....

19. SI

SI TS Member

I have heard that heart worms are becoming resistant to known medications. I female lab that I know of has been on heart worm medicine since she was 4 months old, and last february tested positive, she was three then. All the dogs in the kennel where my dog is being trained are now on Advantage Multi. If your dogs are positive they must be treated by a vet before they can be put on traditional heart worm medicine. Good Luck

20. longbeard

longbeard TS Member

I give my dogs ivermectin for cattle and swine(orally),Ivomec is the key medication in heart guard, and it more economical. I squirt it down their throat that way i know that it will enter into their system.Before starting a heart worm preventative. GO TO THE VET AND HAVE THEM DRAW BLOOD TO INSURE THAT THE DOG DOESN'T HAVE HEART WORMS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.