1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Heartland Grand

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Don S, Feb 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don S

Don S Member

I see the ATA has approved a new Sattelite Grand for Stockdales in Iowa. The shoot will take place over the Labor Day Holiday starting on August 26 thru September 1. Kind of unfair to other clubs in the area with scheduled shoots.

2. TX-MX

TX-MX TS Member

Maybe we could just have a satellite grand twice a month and go ahead and have some more local clubs shut their doors for good.

3. CO - 369

CO - 369 TS Member

Club is 43mi. west of Cedar Falls/Waterloo. Some camping on club grounds. stockdalegunclub.com will give you more info.

Tal/Il, I had just read in Trap & Field what you posted, and was scratching my head too. But I'll go.

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Dale made a better case for the event in a subsequent letter and it changed some minds.

In another post, Steve B asked if the ATA is interested in the increasing costs of shooting and the answer is yes and this is one of the results. Consider my case. I paid for all my events at the SW Grand in advance with a check of about $400. My gas bill down there and back will be three or four times that, and that's in a 25-foot class C motorhome. For everyone in my general area, the same holds true if we want to attend a Satellite Grand. Mason is 1100 (round trip) miles away and that's with a $300+ ferry ride.

If we can get a relatively nearby shoot at a nice club, ATA trophies and AA points, and are willing to support it, shouldn't we get it? Three clubs, after all, get two! Dale's always had a Labor Day Shoot, and is willing to take the financial chance to make it better and more successful. I think it will be a fine shoot and will be there as will a ton of other people, I'm sure. Put it on your calendar!

Neil

5. Don S

Don S Member

Many shooters from Illinois, Iowa and Missouri have attended the Silver Dollar Shoot at the Brittany Shooting Park in Illinois over the Labor Day Holiday. Now they will be given the opportunity to go to a Satellite Grand instead. I guess I should be excited that it is an opportunity for myself. However, I do feel that the Mohr Family at Brittany that just put in 24 new PAT traps is getting the short end.

6. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Don -

I don't see the issue. As has been stated previously, Dale has held a Labor Day shoot for the past 20 years (I've got the 20th anniv sweatshirt to prove it). His Labor Day shoot is usually Thursday thru Monday. He's essentially adding two days (Tuesday and Wednesday) to his shoot. Who is he conflicting with on Tuesday and Wednesday?

Scott

7. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Question. At 10 traps, will this be the smallest of the sattelites?

Bob

8. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

i don,t know about a lot of other shooters but i have neither the time nor finances to attend some of the other satellite grands around the country. i live in southeast iowa,{probably 2 to 3 hours from stockdales}& this will give me an opportunity to attend one of the satellite grands at least for a couple days . i imagine there are plenty of other shooters in this area in the same boat as me when it comes to time & finances to attend some other satellite grands. i look forward to this event. thanks dwain b cook

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.