1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Heartbreak in Nova Scotia(5 Young Men Lost)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by coconutjoy, Feb 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coconutjoy

coconutjoy Member

Really sad news from our Neighbours across the Gulf Of Maine from us in the villiage of Woods Harbour Nova Scotia Canada.Five Young Fisherman where lost while on a Halibut Fishing Trip,they got caught in a big Storm last week.Prayers are with family and friends.

2. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately there's very little press given here in the US about our neighbors to the north.

3. Herb in Oregon

Herb in Oregon TS Member

I know no fishermen who have not learned to pray. "There but for the grace of God go I " Their families should take solace that they died doing what they loved. Rest in peace boys, we'll be along soon.

4. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Every time you bite into some beer battered Halibut, have a thought for the Canadian and American fishermen who risk their lives to catch those fish. We've been following the story closely. After thinking the boat had sunk, a search aircraft spotted part of the hull capsized yesterday and still afloat. The families held out hope that the bodies of their sons were still on board but alas, divers today found the hull empty and in fact reported that the wheelhouse had been torn off the hull by the heavy seas.

Ron Burr

Alberta

5. coconutjoy

coconutjoy Member

Hi Ron,thanks for the comment from out there in Western Canada,cant understand why have never got more comments fron state side,most of the fish on the Boston fish Pier comes from Nova Scotia Canada,hope people in the US are not getting to cold hearted to leave a short note.

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

We are sequestered here by the news media

The news from Canada or Mexico or the riots across Europe- the media here doesnt want to cover it-- motives unknown

Commercial fishing is a hazardous occupation and we should thank those that do it.

Regards from Iowa

Gene

7. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Coconutjoy, I thought I explained that earlier. I live 30 miles north of Boston and spend considerable time in New Brunswick, more this year I hope. The US news media, a real misnomer, gives zero information about anything in Canada. The average american is clueless about what goes on to our north whereas the average canadian is very knowledgeable about what goes on down here. My friends up there predicted that O'Bummer would win again, I was to stupid to believe it possible.

8. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

The subject caught my attention. I was born and raised in Nova Scotia, still have family there.

My condolances to their framilies, may the 5 rest in peace.

Charlie

9. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Very sad,..my condolences and hope the families find comfort knowing their lost loved ones are surely wetting a line up above

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Sorry to hear of that. As long as men go to sea there will always be these tragedies. Few people understand the risks or appreciate what's involved in delivering their goods from overseas, catching their food, or protecting the sea lanes.

Those of us in Oregon who pay attention know what these fishermen face. We've had our share of fishing vessel tragedies over the years. The Columbia River Bar alone has claimed over 2000 vessels and 700 lives. It's known as the Graveyard of the Pacific.

From the Wikipedia article about the Columbia River Bar:

The nearby United States Coast Guard Station Cape Disappointment, Washington is renowned for operating in some of the roughest sea conditions in the world, and is home to the National Motor Lifeboat School. It is the only school for rough weather and surf rescue operation in the US, and is respected internationally as a center of excellence for heavy boat operations

brianinoregon_2008_0303245.jpg

brianinoregon_2008_0303246.jpg

brianinoregon_2008_0303247.jpg

brianinoregon_2008_0303248.jpg

brianinoregon_2008_0303249.jpg

brianinoregon_2008_0303250.jpg

Photos of various vessels in the Columbia River Bar. Photo of massive wave at the Cape Disappointment Lighthouse. Two photos of the wreck of the Peter Iredale, in 1912 and today.

The fishing fleet out of Astoria, Oregon traverses this bar every time they go out to fish in the Pacific.

11. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Really sorry to her about it, they risk their lives to make their living and terrible results sometimes happen

Our media is too busy adoring obozo and hollyweird, other that that all we get is state sponsored propaganda

12. coconutjoy

coconutjoy Member

Your Right Catpower as it seems the Hoolywood wakos(who by the way cant cross the street without a head shrink on both arms)they get all the ink.

13. KS-OKIE

KS-OKIE TS Supporters TS Supporters

One only has to stand in the sundial monument at the Museum Of The North Atlantic Fisheries in Lunenburg Nova Scotia to see what the cost in human life is paid to fish the North Atlantic.Trust me on this,if you get the chance to visit this museum,it will be worth your time...KS-OKIE.

14. Herb in Oregon

Herb in Oregon TS Member

Nice pictures Brian. I retired from fishing 40years on the Pacific between Alaska to New Zealand. The list of my friends and acquaintances lost is long. The price we pay for fish is far too cheap. It may seem strange but my way to handle a loss was to forget about it as soon as possible. Now from out of the blue I'll be mowing the lawn or tinkering with something and I'll think about one of those guys and how they died the good times we had and everything about them. Funny thing about fishing you only remember the good parts but the bad parts aren't far away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

the fish a men of little harbour nova scotia