1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Heart Worm Prevention

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by X2 fan, Jul 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

I did not know you could buy them OTC? I think, if you use petmeds.com, you will still need a prescription from your vet.
    You also need to have your dog tested for heartworm before giving it the meds.

Tim

2. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

My Wife uses PetMeds all the time two cats and two dogs for flea and tick, I am not sure about the heart worm though.Its a little less expensive then the vet and I think free shipping.
    Jim

3. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Probably shouldn't buy heartworm meds on the net, especially from overseas.IMO. Also be careful when buying flea/tick over the counter. Very important to get the right weight category to prevent overdosing and possible problems there. Bill

4. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

IMHO I would trather buy them from the Vet that I trust rather than over the net. Just bought them on Tuesday come to think of it, all my kids meds come from the Vet.

Chuck

5. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

IMHO I would trather buy them from the Vet that I trust rather than over the net. Just bought them on Tuesday come to think of it, all my kids meds come from the Vet.

Chuck

6. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Our warm weather here in Florida makes us use heartworm and flea/tick prevention all year round.

I don't know about you, but our dogs have always been part of the family. We lost two to cancer within the last year and now have a brand new puppy.

We would not go cheap on meds for this, or any other of our dogs we've had, so we have a vet we trust and use him for everything.

I wouldn't buy meds off the net for my wife, or for me, so why would I buy them off the net for my pets?

Bob

7. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I priced the stuff though the internet, when you add in shipping it is about the same as the local vet.

I think you have to have a precription for "Heartguard" from your vet anyway to purchase it.

8. porky

porky TS Member

Try this website. They used to supply all the meds for petmeds and others, but maybe the other companies later outsourced them from India or China. My friend orders them for me all the time and the order usually arrives in less than 2 weeks, usually about 1 week. All I know is that I recieved a letter from the Pet Suppliers Company saying that Petmeds had stopped buying from them and that Pet Suppliers prices would be a lot lower than Pet Meds. Same product, lower cost, can't beat that. I used to use Pet Meds, but their requirements of a prescription for everything was a pain because it just increased the costs. Now I can order Heartgard and other things without any prescriptions.

9. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Have used 800PetMeds for years and always buy the MAJOR brands. Ivemectin is the active ingredient. You will need a script for them. Another place I used was UPCO in St. Joseph as I could buy my puppy injections MUCH less than the vet. Just cost isn't the only price.....

10. ouch

ouch Member

I think enough of my vet to purchase all my pets meds from him. When his services are needed in an emergency or regular visits I'd like to be on the prefered customer list. Richard

11. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

Upcoming in st joe mo sales pet meds.... Puppy shots, rabies, and ivermectin which is for heart worms. Been using them for years and my father has used them for decades.. We are comfortable giving our own meds, but if you are not then vets the way to go.. For those that raise multiple dogs some can't afford the vets...

12. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

sorry meant Upco

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.