1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

heart pacemakers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Strait Shooter, Jun 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strait Shooter

Strait Shooter Member

Does anyone on this forum shoot with or know someone that shoots with a heart pacemaker? If so what do you think of it? What average are you able to maintain.Thanks.

2. redbone99

redbone99 Member

I've had a pacemaker for 2 yrs now. When they told me I had to have one,I told them I wanted in my left side as I am right hand shooter. They said they normally put it in left side.I don't really notice it or feel the difference. As far as average,I don't shoot ATA and have several guns I shoot which probably doesn't help. Also usually shoot 3/4 or 7/8 loads.I would guess my average is around 21. I don't think the pacemaker really has any effect on your shooting.Dave

3. joe blow

joe blow TS Member

I've had one since 2004. I don't see any difference.

4. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I'm glad somebody asked that question, the VA wants to put one in me next month, and was wondering what it would be like shooting

5. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

Freind just got one the end of May, Dr told him keep shooting low recoil guns his Dr is a shooter and suggested 1100 or recoil reduction system on single barrel. I don't think it has helped his shooting or hurt it for that matter But at least he can shoot the day and not fall over.

6. butch's90t

butch's90t Member

I've had mine since 1995. Only thing that bothers me is shooting on a short squad, pacemaker has a tendency to speed up. I shoot 1145fps and slower shells. Not that good of a shot, only on 24yd line. I shoot a 90T for singles/handicaps and a 3200 for doubles. Don't worry about it, go out and have fun. HarryC

7. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

A pacemaker is no problem at all. I have a Pacemaker/Defibrillator combination. The defib. is a real bitch when it goes off, but its generally not shooting that causes it however. I got mine the day after I left the 1999 100th anniversary of the Grand. I left the grounds, gassed up for the trip home and fell over in the seat as I was about to leave. I spent the next week in a North Dayton hosp.

As a matter of information when you see people get shocked with paddles in the movies etc. you do jump a foot off the table. I was awake when they did it to me, and it leaves burn marks. Didn't mean to spoil lunch for you but defibs. are serious business and save your life!

8. Mike

Mike Member

HarryC, Your pacemaker may have a rate response feature liked to respiratory changes. As you breath faster the rate goes up to increase heart rate and cardiac output. Mik

9. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Paul: I'm glad you're alive. I have always been warned that two shocks in recent succession and it's hospital time.

10. DocJim

DocJim Member

There is no reason your shooting habits or scores should change after implantation of a pacemaker. Check with your cardiologist first as to when you can expose yourself to the recoil as it takes a little while for the catheter to "seat". .................................AJ

11. Strait Shooter

Strait Shooter Member

Thanks everyone for the information and experiences you have had with pacemakers. I have been told that I am a candidate for a pacemaker, and other peoples experiences going in gives me a little more idea of what to expect. Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.