1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

hearing the target break

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tjcutter, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tjcutter

tjcutter TS Member

Someone mentioned in another thread about hearing noises coming from the gun that they thought sometimes they could hear the target break. At times when I am really crushing the targets, I swear I can hear them break. When I have mentioned this to my fellow shooters, they tell me I'm crazy. Anyone else experience this or do I just have exceptional hearing? Of course there is the possibility that I am just crazy. LOL

Tom

2. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Your crazy but if you can hear the target break can you also hear the arm throwing the target from the house?

I can usually hear the target drop down onto the arm along with the the snap and pop of the primer before igniting the powder but then I know I am crazy so there is no possibility that I might be wrong or is that write?

3. nrasmus

nrasmus Member

I actually think that when i am in my "zone" on the line that my gun sounds different if I miss the target, haven't figured out why but to me is is a different sound from a hit ot a miss. I have also been walking down the sidewalk and can pick up on shots that "sound" like misses and normally speaking I am right. I am like you though I have had my beer taken away after the shoot for being crazy/drunk so I can't say for sure.

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I can't hear the target being hit when I'm on the line but I do hear that noise when loading a trap machine while a squad is shooting. Kind of a satisfying sound like smashing china.

5. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

I'm so deaf that at times I can hardly read the words on the screen.

6. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

The only thing I still do well is hear. I can also hear the shot whack the target.

7. 870

870 Well-Known Member

I don't hear it when I am the shooter, but I have heard pellets hitting targets, usually unbroken targets in the winter.

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

We used to have a few machined aluminum targets that anyone could hear the shot hit! Immediately afterward, you'd hear several four letter words spewed out for some reason? :) Hap

9. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

On days when the targets are really hard to see,I have no other choice but to listen for them spinning, than shoot at that sound.......Works for me...LMAO..

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

I do not hear well but when conditions are just right, I have heard the target break.

Pat Ireland

11. darr

darr Well-Known Member

I have heard the shot hit the terget.I have also heard shot hit game birds like dove.

Darr

12. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

i hear the shot hit the target as well as the trees in the background,and yes sometimes the arm on the thrower in the trap house!so no you are not crazy !

13. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

Big deal! Hearing the target break at 30 yards is nothing! I frequently hear the ultra fine dust from a properly smashed target float to the grass 34 yards away...just after hearing the wad land with a thump.

14. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I used to be able to hear targets breaking until I switched to 7 1/2 shot. Now the sound of the pellets colliding with each other drowns out the sound of the target breaking.

Morgan

15. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

If shot hits a target and there is no1 there 2 hear it does the target break ?

16. Wilma Harris

Wilma Harris TS Member

I kept hearing strange sounds while shooting trap one day and traced it to an area near the 50 yard stake. On closer inspection it was a mouse that had eaten something causing it to break wind from time to time.

17. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

I think I've heard the pellets hit the targets when I was shooting at the Dixie in FL. Not mine but the shooter farthest away from me to my right.

18. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

When pulling for miss and out games from yardage, I have heard pellets hit targets and they have not broke. I find it hard to hear the target break but I have heard pellets bounce off many times. Maybe because a full target is a better sounding board. Also you may or may not get some dust off of a hit like this. White flyers seem to make better sounds when pellets hit them.

GS

19. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

HUH!!

20. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

Several hundred thousand targets ago I could hear the shot hitting the target.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.