1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hearing protection?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, Jul 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

What hearing protection has the best noise reduction, I won't use muffs. My ear is definitely hurting and I think it may be from shooting.

2. TC

TC TS Member

You are going to get a lot of bad advice on this. The truth is; the best hearing protection is foam roll up plugs (33db NRR) with slim muffs (23db NRR or better). If you can't handle the muffs at least use the foam plugs. Do not use anything less than 30db NRR. You must insert the plugs firmly and completely. This is very important! Molded plugs are not what you should be using, they are not rated and there are to many variables with proper fitting. I wish I would have known what I know now years ago. Hearing aids are very expensive and a bit of a hassle. Tony

3. hockeyref

hockeyref Member

What TC said.... I'm sitting in a quiet room with no TV or radio and the loud ringing is quite annoying!

4. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Foam plugs it is then. I'll order a case of them next week.

5. team henges

team henges TS Member

I don't really like the foam plugs because you can only use them a couple of times but I would get you a set of custom molded E.A.R plugs at the grand or wherever you can find them but the EAR plugs are the best, there are a lot of companies that make the custom plugs. And these plugs will last forever

Brendan

6. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I can't use roll up foam plugs because once they are taken out of my ears they don't fill the ear opening again ever.

I have a profound hearing loss and if someone speaks to me on the line. I must remove my plugs to hear what they are saying.

Once out they won't go back. So I won't use them.

Bob Lawless

7. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

How many decibels will the E.A.R. custom molded plugs block out? I'm pretty sure I did something to my ear drum from shooting a day ago.

8. Kyle Spieles

Kyle Spieles Member

I have been using the foam roll-up plugs for a long time. Last weekend I went to the Ohio state trap shoot and seen a few guys making the custom molded ear pieces. I ended up not getting a set because of the short amount of time I had that day but now I am really kicking myself hard because I really would like a pair.

9. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Rich219:

I'm a big fan of foam plugs which I use exclusively. However, I got off to a bad start.

The first foam plugs I ever tried were supplied by my employer. They were untapered. They were also to big (for me) and had a rough texture. They were uncomfortable and I hated using them. Not knowing any better I concluded foam plugs were miserable things to be avoided.

What I didn't understand is that ear canals come in different sizes and shapes. So do foam ear plugs.

Shooters should also understand that different brands and models of plugs have other characteristics that differ as well. For example, some plugs are "denser" than others. Dense plugs compress well for easy insertion then promptly expand to fill your ear canal. They can be resused multiple times as long as they remain clean. OTOH, the last batch of plugs purchased for my club have a high NRR (noise reduction rating) but are relatively less dense. That means they are easy to insert the first time but increasingly difficult to properly compress for subsequent uses. I'm lucky if they get me thru more than one day's use.

The trick is to try several different types to see what works well for YOU. Safety equipment supply companies (there are a bunch of them on the net) often sell variety packs for that purpose.

Whatever else you do, protect your ears and eyes.

sissy

10. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

I tried HEAROS, which are tapered and are reusable several times. I have a small ear canal and the untapered ones are hard to get down in there. You can find them at Wallgreens and CVC in the hearing aid section.

11. Mark T

Mark T TS Member

The molded earplugs from E.A.R., Inc. and their providers have a documented TRUE NRR of 31dB. They are better than foam type earplugs as the foam earplugs have slippage when their is jaw movement. The molded earplugs don't slip and they fit the sam way everytime.

12. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Mash on the link above. I use these and find them to be extremely comfortable. They have a certified 33 NRR and can be used over again several times. I normally go through one pair every couple weeks or so..... These are good plugs, and at .15 per pair, easy to throw away. 2 cases of them will last a long time... Just my experience.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

13. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Fred..... I agree 100%...... Dan

14. dennis b

dennis b Member

Try the above website

15. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

sarge, don't you enjoy watching people lick their molded plugs and then stick em in their ears.

When the jaw is opened the ear canal changes shape. Molded plugs can lose their seal while foam plugs constantly expand to compensate and maintain their seal.

I like the yellow E.A.R. foam plugs.

16. arend003

arend003 Member

I have tried most of the foam, sonic defenders and now I have made a set of Radians molded ear plugs and they are by far the best for me. not saying they would be that good for you
    Tom

17. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I've been using the Radian molded ear plugs and they're the ones causing my problem.

18. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

The custom molded plugs I use are suppose to be 40 NNR. got them made at a big shoot and I have no problems with them. Once in a blue moon they will loosen up a bit and I have to twist-em in a bit and get them reseated as it were. If I did not use these plugs I would go back to the yellow foam plugs with a 32 NNR you can get in any ACE hardware or maybe even a truevalue as well. There 50 cents apiece and I never had these loosen up on me, but with that said I can listen to shooters with the yellows in place and I can't with the custom plugs in. So I know the custom plugs work better for me. The yellows will keep you shooting till you can find the custom. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

19. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I just went to lunch, and just for kicks, since I have my shooting gear packed in my rig for a shoot this weekend, I decided to try a little experiment. I turned my iPod on and cranked the volume up just a little. I then inserted a fairly new set of molded ear plugs I have. After installing them, I found I could still hear the music pretty well, considering I had ear plugs in my ears. I then took them out and replaced them with the foam ear plugs I normally use. The difference was like night and day. I could just barely hear the music, and it was muffled, at best..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

20. SonoraMike

SonoraMike TS Member

at 33dbNRR these work great, roll them up between your thumb and finger, shove them into your head and try to touch your brain. Found a 10 pack at CVS for $7, this is a much better deal at amazon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.