1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hearing Protection

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by esoxhunter, Dec 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Bryn: I have a set of Pro-Ears that have a low profile and are made to alleviate this problem. Although everyone is built different and I can't speak for others; but I do not have this problem with the Pro-Ears. They are rather pricey as they are an electronic muff; but they enable you to hear while wearing them. I do know I had an inexpensive pair of low profile Silencio muffs at one time that didn't interfere with the stock. I guess a person has to try on a number of different brands to find the "right" pair that fits you. Good Luck. Ed

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

They make muffs with the bottm part of the ear piece recessed inorder to clear the comb. HMB

3. Recoil Problems

Recoil Problems TS Member

I still think there are more options out there

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Do you have to wear muffs?! What about good inner ear protection? Do you require conversation while wearing hearing protection? Evaluate your needs and you can avail yourself of many options!

Jay

5. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Inner ear protection is something one would wear under their muffs. (If you truly care for your hearing). Inner ear protection does not protect the hard bone that is behind your ears. This bone also is a conductor of sound for our hearing. This information was given to me many years ago, by a fellow trapshooter who was an ear doctor. He told me that the only true protection is to wear inner ear protection in conjunction with a good pair of muffs. Hearing while shooting is somewhat important. It alerts you to possible problems while you are on the line; that you may not be visually aware of. Also, it allows you to hear the scorer, who reports the score for each shooter as they progress through the stations. Given a choice between inner ear or outer ear protection; I would opt for outer ear protection. (However, both is better). JMHO. Ed

6. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

I just bought Caldwell electronic ear muffs as a back-up from Midway USA for $15.00 (on sale - regularly $35). For the money, they cannot be beat! The electronics allow hearing but with immediate shut-down protection from gun reports. Even if the electronics do not have the sound quality of the $100++ ear muffs, they have an NRR of 27 and if the sound system quits working, they are just as good as any non-electronic muff. Best Regards, Ed

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Ed- Vibrations (sound) can be directly transfered to the nerve endings through the temporal bone behind the ear opening. But, the intensity of these vibrations are very low and the sound level from a gun would not cause any damage when transmitted through this bone.

Ear muffs and a good plug in the ear canal could reduce noise levels and improve concentration, but the plugs by themselves are adequate to protect hearing. Lab testing has concluded that the expandable plugs in the outer ear provide the best protection. Ear muffs and custom molded inserts are tied for second place.

Pat Ireland

8. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

In the winter muffs when shooting is down, muffs offer the advantage of keeping your ears warm. They are a nuisance in the summer, so fitted ear plugs carry the day then. Regards, Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

pro ears low profile for trap